Opt7 led lights

i have to disagree i purchased these lights and my opinion there 100000 times WORSE than stock. took them out in 3 days and they been sitting my garage sense. also tried opt7 on my motorcycle few yrs ago same results there junk in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much activity happening here ..

Since getting that replacement end of last summer i have yet to reinstall these. Honestly have just been lazy and havent done it. Now thats its almost summer again will be putting them in and looking to do other mods. Winter time here just doesnt give me any motivation to do any mods since winter last damn near 5, sometime 6 months.

Still have not bought any hi beams though, nor fog lights. Those are the only 2 things left that are not LED lit on my truck.

I decided to upgrade my 2015 GMC 1500's bulbs in the headlights and fog lights. After doing more research on the Cree and Philips type LEDs, I decided to with the new Philip LUXEON MZ LED chip. Don't get me wrong, CREE makes some nice LED chips but Philips has been in the automotive industry for years. Personally, I want more lumens but I also want long term reliability.

I took my chances on XeonDepot's (XD) 9012 LED Headlight Kit (9012-LED-HL). One thing I liked was that the LED did not have a fan. Instead it has a flexible copper heat sink. I know some forum member's needed to use a CANbus, but my BCM did not require a CANbus...actually, the lights only worked without the CANbus. Overall, I am more happy with the new light setup than the previous bulbs. Sorry, I don't have any pictures at this time.

As for the fog lights, I went with the CREE 5202 LED fog light and those are pretty bright as well. Just giving my two cents.

• 1 month later...

I decided to upgrade my 2015 GMC 1500's bulbs in the headlights and fog lights. After doing more research on the Cree and Philips type LEDs, I decided to with the new Philip LUXEON MZ LED chip. Don't get me wrong, CREE makes some nice LED chips but Philips has been in the automotive industry for years. Personally, I want more lumens but I also want long term reliability.

I took my chances on XeonDepot's (XD) 9012 LED Headlight Kit (9012-LED-HL). One thing I liked was that the LED did not have a fan. Instead it has a flexible copper heat sink. I know some forum member's needed to use a CANbus, but my BCM did not require a CANbus...actually, the lights only worked without the CANbus. Overall, I am more happy with the new light setup than the previous bulbs. Sorry, I don't have any pictures at this time.

As for the fog lights, I went with the CREE 5202 LED fog light and those are pretty bright as well. Just giving my two cents.

you have any pictures ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have any pictures ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I could post some pictures. But I will have to wait until it's dark to take some first.

***I do have an update on the lights and GMC projectors (not sure if the upper Chevy models have the projectors)***

Update: The light's aren't too bad on the brightness; however, I firmly agree on what the majority of GM owners say about the projectors in the GMC (and Chevy if they have them) between the years of 2014-2015. They truly do suck at projecting light correctly. The LEDs (and any other upgraded bulb from factory halogen) do give more light. But after seeing how bright the new 2016 projects are, I am sold that our early projector lights are not efficient. With that said, I personally won't go buy new headlights for that purpose so the LEDs do make it slightly better. To compliment the LEDs, I installed some really bright fog lamp LEDs which greatly help the lower and side (ditches and medians) parts of the road. Don't rely on highbeams (brights) for these projectors because I honestly can't see much of a difference in distance....

Just my two cents even though what I just stated was stated on the forums before....I wanted to confirm it LOL. Had to push that "big red button" even though it said, "do not push." :smash:

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone just wanted an update from anyone with a silverado who installed the led bulb with the dust cap on. Have you had any over heating problems?

The year or so I had these I never had any overheating issues

The year or so I had these I never had any overheating issues

Are you still happy with the light output, color and performance of the LED's after a year? (OPT7, correct?)

Thanks...

No i took them out. Output was so so, since we cant adjust aim left to right the output wasnt that good. Served its purpose for immediate light in front of the truck but didnt get much down the road at all also not much for the sides.

They were bright but the throw was scattered

Theres 2 of these threads for some reason. The other has a lot more posts about these lights. This is my last post about them, someone else's photo captures what it looks like much better

Click here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/185032-new-opt7-h11-led-headlight-bulbs/page-11?do=findComment&comment=1913254

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No i took them out. Output was so so, since we cant adjust aim left to right the output wasnt that good. Served its purpose for immediate light in front of the truck but didnt get much down the road at all also not much for the sides.

They were bright but the throw was scattered

Theres 2 of these threads for some reason. The other has a lot more posts about these lights. This is my last post about them, someone else's photo captures what it looks like much better

Click here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/185032-new-opt7-h11-led-headlight-bulbs/page-11?do=findComment&comment=1913254

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ok thx

Archived