Does the tailgate have a known weight limit?

I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I couldn't locate a thread that may have already covered this.

I brought home a 2015 Silverado 1500 and would be interested to know if there is a weight limit for the tailgate. I'm sure driving an ATV or Motorcycle up to load it would be OK since all the weight isn't sitting on the tailgate at once (always wheels touching on a part of a ramp or in the bed), but what about just a load?

If I need to rest xxxlbs of bricks/construction material on it for easy unloading or just sitting on it to hangout and tailgate, what would be the weight limit in these situations?

I've looked in the manual and it simply omits this information.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated; Thanks in advance!

That's a really good question. I'd like to know that too. Also along the same lines, is there a limit on how much weight can sit in the bed in a particular area. IOW, at what point (say pounds per square foot or something similar) might damage to the sheet metal or underlying structure of the bed be at risk for damage? I've been putting plywood or 4x4's or something like that under loads that present a lot of pressure in a small area, but it would be nice to know just how strong the bed structure is.

I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I couldn't locate a thread that may have already covered this.
I brought home a 2015 Silverado 1500 and would be interested to know if there is a weight limit for the tailgate. I'm sure driving an ATV or Motorcycle up to load it would be OK since all the weight isn't sitting on the tailgate at once (always wheels touching on a part of a ramp or in the bed), but what about just a load?
If I need to rest xxxlbs of bricks/construction material on it for easy unloading or just sitting on it to hangout and tailgate, what would be the weight limit in these situations?
I've looked in the manual and it simply omits this information.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated; Thanks in advance!

[Deleted previous reply.] I can't find anything on GM's site.

Edited by ghgmi

I think it's 350 lbs, at least I've heard that previous for other trucks, and think about it- it better be able to handle @ least 300 as it's fairly common to use it as a "step" or "seat" for a grown man- hell I've definitely seen 2 or even 3 people sitting on the back of am open tailgate before...

Edited by crushNchowda

Better question is which gives first - do the cables snap or does the tailgate bend in half?

+1

Beat me to it.

And, do the cables snap, or do the ends pop off -- like the recalled ones a few years ago. (alright, it might have been 15 or 20, but it was after they switched to cables from the metal straps)

I think it's 350 lbs, at least I've heard that previous for other trucks, and think about it- it better be able to handle @ least 300 as it's fairly common to use it as a "step" or "seat" for a grown man- hell I've definitely seen 2 or even 3 people sitting on the back of am open tailgate before...

I'm with you when you say 'common to use "step" or "seat" for a grown man- hell I've definitely seen 2 or even 3 people sitting on the back of am open tailgate before' but just a 350lb weight limit seems light. In the real world a man with gear on carrying something 100lbs. over his shoulder to load in the truck could easily approach or maybe break a 350lb weight limit and that's with just him and nothing else on the tailgate at all.

I definitely appreciate your input, I'm just really hoping it's more than that.

I asked salesman this and was adivsed 600lb. however this is evenly spread out on the tailgate.

This number makes sense to me but I don't know if it's because I really want that to be the answer. I think we've all experienced the 'not-so-knowledgeable' and the 'say anything the customer wants to hear to make a sale' salesman. :)

Thanks for your response.

+1

Beat me to it.

And, do the cables snap, or do the ends pop off -- like the recalled ones a few years ago. (alright, it might have been 15 or 20, but it was after they switched to cables from the metal straps)

I remember the recall clearly and it's always sitting in the back of my mind whenever I use the tailgate.

Do yourself a favor, get the metal tailgate straps from Merchant automotive.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Ok 'WilliamBos', let's say I did get those metal tailgate straps you're talking about, the tailgate itself probably has a limit before it buckles. Any idea what the weight limit of the actually tailgate is?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Edited by jasch1124

I have no idea. Have never worried about how much weight it will hold. Just used it as a truck. But I do wish that GM never went to those cables, they are garbage. Which is why I buy straps for them, much stronger.

I have no idea. Have never worried about how much weight it will hold. Just used it as a truck. But I do wish that GM never went to those cables, they are garbage. Which is why I buy straps for them, much stronger.

Fair enough. So a personal question: Since it sounds like you've used and are happy with those metal straps you recommended, I'm sure you bought them because you intended to put some weight on the tailgate. What's the most weight you've put on it without issue?

Fair enough. So a personal question: Since it sounds like you've used and are happy with those metal straps you recommended, I'm sure you bought them because you intended to put some weight on the tailgate. What's the most weight you've put on it without issue?

I drive my 700+ pound Polaris Sportsman up the ramps which sit on the tailgate into the back of the truck. No problem or flexing at all.

GM used metal straps until they released the 1988 trucks, they sent to cables. Living up in the salt belt, the cables on my 04 started rusting big-time. When I traded it, I took the straps off and put the cables on. Turns out the cables on my 2022 are asn in CH linger than the 04, so I will get a new set from Eric.