Yukon - major problems?

So, I like the older Yukons (1999/2000) a lot and started to get some information about thoses years.

It looks like there have been recalls and even that's not a huge concern I was wondering what you guys have to say about that.

Obviously there have been issues with the fuel system (fire?) and the seat belts (front?), and the breaks.

I wonder whatelse could be a (major) problem or stand in the way because in the long run I might buy one.

Thanks for input :)

The late 90's SUV's had most of the kinks worked out though.

That sounds pretty good to me :)

To me it's not so much about the power. It's the looks and it would be a good daily driver, perfect for private stuff as well as for work.

Then again...talking about looks...no, I don't go there :)

Not sure if this is what you're asking about but I'll throw it out there anyway.This is a '99 Suburban 1500(1/2t)4x4 with a 5.7l engine.I think it's a good looking vehicle,it's my wife's and she loves it.

DSC01783.jpg

Yep - really nice!

Not sure, but am I right by thinking that the Yukon and the Suburban have the same engine, not talking about the Denali though. The interior seems to be a bit different but other than that it's just the price - right? Like it's pretty much the same?

Saying your wife is happy means no problems, just the usual repairs? How long does she own her babe?

When I started reading about the Yukon I found an article about some recalls and that's when I thought I wanna know if there's more to it. Happy to see that it's not the case.

cheers!

I bought it at the beginning of '08 for her from a GMC dealership.We had an '87 Mustang that was getting hard for her to get in and out of,which we sold later.

As for the TSBs go I never checked and have no experience with them.Back in 2011 I had to deal with the fuel injector spider(where the fuel gets sent to each cylinder via plastic tubes & poppet valves).I upgraded to the MPFI system(well known for it's superior efficiency).It's been running great since.Replaced the fuel pump once(recently) and other items related to regular maintenance.I don't drive it much but I think it has about 180,000 miles on it and the engine is still tight and very quiet(I can't hear her drive into the driveway lol)

Pretty sure the engines are the same and interiors are the same,either fabric or leather.A Yukon is the same as a Suburban,just a little shorter.

In my sig you'll see my Suburban,much different.Although looking the same the similarities end there.It's a '95 K2500,454,lifted heavy duty truck which we use to tow our toy hauler filled with dirt bikes.

Thank you for coming back here and clarify - I appreciate that a lot!

It's so nice to get some input. Like a lot of people I am kind of into trucks / SUV's but not as much as you guys and I probably never will be.

Though it will make my decision a lot easier just by hearing about your experience.

Thanks again!

I have a 97 Tahoe, it has a few problems

The 4l60e transmission is a POS, it isn't robust enough for the weight of the vehicle. Must have been designed for a Cavalier. Mine was replaced at about 120k miles.

The brakes are barely marginal. They aren't strong enough to trigger the ABS on dry pavement.

Quality of materials used for the interior is appallingly bad.

Expect to replace the fuel pump and alternator occasionally.

It also has lots of good features:

The 5.7 engine is fantastic, lots of low end grunt. Mine now has 148k miles on it, still runs like new.

Much to my surprise, still very little rust after 18 midwest winters.

Roomy, lots of cargo space.

This body style was made for so long and with a huge abundance of parts, it can probably be kept running indefinitely.

^ true. I have 200k on my 97. Engine and transmission 4l60e, ball joints, etc are original. Has been in family since new and always has had regular fluid changes. I recently got a blackbear computer tune and it really woke the ol 5.7 up!

Yes brakes are undersized but once you get used to how it stops it's definitely manageable. Only other issue is variable assist power steering is a POS. Intake manifold gasket is a common replacement. You will need this when coolant starts disappearing. Keep the gas tank above 1/4 empty unless you want to change in tank fuel pumps more often.

Don't get me wrong these are really great trucks. Good power, classic styling, decent mpg, easy to work on.

Not sure if this is what you're asking about but I'll throw it out there anyway.This is a '99 Suburban 1500(1/2t)4x4 with a 5.7l engine.I think it's a good looking vehicle,it's my wife's and she loves it.

DSC01783.jpg

Nice clean suburban / Yukon XL

Archived