Need quick answer...will it blend...er...tow

So first trip was a success. Crazy rain on our way there, really took our time. Towed well. Feel it in the hills for sure.

post-111212-0-45865700-1437934775_thumb.jpg

On the way home, I stopped by the scales. Measured each axle.

3180 front truck

4160 rear truck

6840 trailer

grand total of 14180. Under my 15k gcvw rating. This was with half a tank of water (200lbs roughly) 3 adults (1 more then I usually take) my son and 115lb dog, all our gear, minus my beer :P

SO, with that said, not sure if the WD hitch needs to be adjusted with more to the from or am I within a good range?

edit...3950 is the rear gawr. sooo, will adjusting the WD change that 4160 or do I need to just get 210 lbs out the bed/tongue of the truck??

Edited by Roscopcoletrain

Looks great!!! Glad to hear all went well this w/e.

As for your weights and the hitch adjustment, you need to actually weigh 3 times.

1: Truck & trailer ready to roll down the road

2: Truck and trailer with the wd bars unhooked

3: truck only, leave the hitch and wd bars in the truck

What all did you have in the bed of the truck? From the weight slips I still have from when we had our '10-1500, it looks like you do need to adjust the hitch based on the front axle weight. My 1500 had 3440lbs on the front axle (truck only, no trailer hooked up).

Have you adjusted the hitch at all yet? If not, try to get on as level (or flat) ground as possible. With the trailer unhooked, measure the front wheel wells (can do all 4 if you want) of the truck. Hook up the trailer, but without the wd bars, measure again. Now adjust the wd bars so you restore at least 50% off the lost height in the front. I usually adjusted for as close to restoring 100% as possible. This should get you pretty close, but still best to hit the scales 3 times.

Where is the fresh water tank in relation to the tongue or the axles?

Sad thing is, not a lot in the bed of the truck. Chairs, dog bed, some tools, wood blocks. Not a ton of heavy stuff. few hundred lbs max if i had to guess. The good thing is the fresh tank is on the nose of the trailer, so thats a quick savings. Im guessing it's mostly just a heavy tongue putting me over.

We did adjust the hitch at the dealer, but with an empty truck and trailer. Fenders measured up within specs. The rear does squat a bit more so I may raise the ball one notch, and angle the hitch back slightly. I don't have a lot of angle left once I looked this morning, so that worries me a bit.

As for the scale, its an hour away, and only open to me on weekends when the trucking company is closed :P Its an axle scale, so I assume I would just unhitch, do the truck front and rear, do the trailer tongue alone and then the trailer axles alone unhitched?

I've done a bit of reading about helper leafs for the rear or even airbags, but that really won't help distribute the weight I would think. Just less sag and maybe tighten the back end up a bit.

The airbags definitely help sag. Even severely overloaded, you'd never tell from looking at the side of the truck. Doesn't take much air pressure either - with 50 lbs in them you could have 5k in the back of a half-ton, and it would sit level. :lol:

The airbags definitely help sag. Even severely overloaded, you'd never tell from looking at the side of the truck. Doesn't take much air pressure either - with 50 lbs in them you could have 5k in the back of a half-ton, and it would sit level. :lol:

right, but would it put weight back onto the front wheels is the question?

I don't think so, unless you pumped them up to the point where the ass-end was higher than the front end. Only the WD system can really transfer the trailer's weight properly, IMO.

• Like 1

Best to play with the hitch head angle some before trying bags. There may be more adjustment left than you think. Post a pic of the washer used for the adjust show where it's at.

For Reese who uses a fine tooth washer also, they say you can go past the last tooth for it may end up in the middle of the washer so to speak..... Maybe it's the same for the Recurve system!!!???

hmm, not sure if thats an option or not. Curious why they say 12deg max. Because of the screw thread or something else.

Gonna raise it one notch, and do a few thread turns. That should at least transfer a bit more weight back onto the trailer wheels no?

So I adjusted it back somewhat. I didnt raise the hitch though. I'll see how it does this weekend and will re way it on my way home next monday.

Before

gallery_111212_3471_388303.jpg

after. about 1/4"..maybe a touch more..

gallery_111212_3471_1873509.jpg

The thread is a bit up inside...hopefully that isnt a big deal lol.

gallery_111212_3471_1839131.jpg

So weather was nice today, thought I'd try a little experiment. I did a wheel fender measurement unhitched. hitched no wd, and hitched wd to see what would change..

gallery_111212_3471_10381.jpg

So front returned to normal. Ground wasnt exactly flat either, but it gives me an idea. Leaning more and more towards timbrens or a add a leaf. Oh and that 35.75 is supposed to be 38.75. typo :P

Edited by Roscopcoletrain

Those measurements are with the new hitch head angle? I wonder if the rear being off a 1/2" is due to the slightly uneven ground????

1" or 1-1/2" sag in the rear is normal when towing a travel trailer. From what you measured, you are restoring just about 100% of the lost fa weight back, so it looks like you are good to go. Maybe still hit a scale again for the 3 seperate weighs to verify, but I would try it as is.

Any trips planned soon???

Yeah, we're leaving actually later this afternoon for the long weekend. Will hit a scale on the way back on Monday.

I want to say my left side was always lower then the right a bit. I think I remember measuring that before.