How to clean interior

The story is always different because of kids or dogs or ....

I think it depends on what your truck is used for. Is it just your baby, do you use it for work and what kinda job is it or do you use it for work and private?

Not saying that a private one doesn't need attention when it comes to cleaning nor that a work truck doesn't matter because it's just it, a work truck.

If you like a clean truck in general look at what is needed.

Working in construction means a lot of dust and all sorts of dirt is going to be in your truck and therefore you'll have to spend more time and afford in cleaning and cleaning materials. Using it to go to the office and back home won't do much to the truck.

Real leather needs good care, always!

Other than that every owner finds his/her way :)

cheers!

Each to their own for sure. I never cleaned my 2009 Avalanche's interior with anything other than slightly damp cloth. The Leather or anything for that matter had a single issue ever. Traded it for this 2015 in like new condition.

Leather conditioner keeps leather supple and will age better vs. treating it w/ nothing- I know people will claim that some leather is coated or whatever but overtime that wears out too. I think the best example I can give is from my '04 GTO - if you've ever ridden in a GTO (and to a lesser degree G8 or SS) whatever leather they use @ GMs down under plants for Holden is super durable and extra thick- but also kind of rough and dry. The leather in my GTO after years and multiple applications of Lexol was actually more supple and looked more "new" almost than when it was really new because over time the conditioner was able to penetrate the leather and improve on it more or less.

While I described a different method above, I can also tell you that using something like 303 aerospace on vinyl and synthetic interior or exterior surfaces will greatly improve the materials resistance to UV fading cracking and other wear and tear- there's a reason people use it on their boats and marine equipment.

Agree to both products. The leather in my '06 TL was nice when I bought it. Lexol kept it in excellent condition and it never developed any sort of "wear" indications while I owned it (50k miles ish).

As far as the 303, UV protection is specifically why I started using it. Armor All offers zero. STP Son-of-a-Gun supposedly offers some, but the 303 is about as close to complete protection as you're likely to get. Use it on ALL of your plastic and vinyl as well as the tires - especially if your vehicle sits out in the sun a lot.

So I'm going to ask what might be a dumb question, what's the advantage of using these products over just a damp towel?

Since most of it isn't real leather it shouldn't really need anything. The truck has laminated glass all-around so UV shouldn't be an issue, and from other threads it sounds like the jury is somewhat out on treating the leather since it has a sealant on it.

Most of the products I've used on other cars in the past just seem to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, just meaning once you start using them you either need to keep using it and often in higher quantities just to keep up appearances. Kind of like with armour all, it just makes stuff duller and duller if you don't keep using it.

so generally I just use a california duster to surface clean and every so often will get a soft cloth and get it wet, wring it out real good, then go over everything. After the windows of course. then I'll finish up with some compressed air if any little towel lint remains. Before I got this truck my cars were 12 and 13 years old respectively and still looked good, wondering why/if I should start using something?

My thoughts exactly.

I don't waste my time with Armor All on anything - it's the best known name, and probably the lowest performing product. For stuff like the dash, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Use it basically everywhere in the interior and any exterior plastic trim. Seems to be a good product from the protection standpoint. Leaves a moderate shine on the dash and that shine seems to last a long time.

Archived