Starter in a 1986 Chevy c10

I have a 1986 Chevy c10 v8 305 5.0 L and I just replaced the starter a few weeks back and it was doing great until yesterday. It wouldn't start it just made this horrible screeching noise. I put the shims in and it did good until today. Now it is doing it again. Please can someone help me and tell me what to do. I cannot figure it out. It's like it's too far in one minute then not in enough. I'm too the point I'm out of answers and don't know what to do. I cannot a afford a professional mechanic either. Thank you, Taylor Webb from Lubbock, Texas. ce0777336b9db66ba35305b3383f0065.jpg

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Take the flywheel cover off and look at the teeth on the fly wheel. Could be that some of the teeth are chew off in certain spots. And if those spot match up with the starter gear when the engine was shut off then the condition that you are describing happens. Also check the teeth on the starter gear while you have the cover off.

I would take the starter back and get another one. Could be a bad starter. If it was working ok with the way you had it first installed then I don't think shimming is your problem. If it was then it would have done it from the start. When I have a job that needs a starter or alternator replaced. I like to have the one that I take out rebuilt. And I reinstall it the same way it came out. That way I don't have a problem with different dimensions between an old unit and a new unit. But some people don't have the luxury of having a facility that can do that for them.

Archived