AMP Side Steps (power nerf bars)

Just purchased online AMP power side steps with Plug and Play OBD-II Pass thru Harness thru AutoAnything to compliment my new 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 diesel with standard bed. It came and my mechanic installed all but the electric harnass. According to AutoAnything I had to order an additional "Conversion Kit" for $209.99. Anybody had this problem? I took a day off work to get this installed. Now I have to take an additional day off for the wire harnass. Much more cost than anticipated. AutoAnything did not list this additional kit for these steps to work. Talked to AMP and they said I did not order the right parts and they did not list this conversion kit on their website or talking to them on the phone. Something wrong here!

Could you have received an earlier version (pre-OBD-II) of the AMP product? I recently ordered and DIY installed these steps in my '15 6.0. Absolute plug & play. No supplemental harness required. Box arrived clearly marked for 2014/2015 2500HD. Ordered through local speed shop.

FYI, only SNAFU of install was finding that the passenger/front upper mounting hole in the frame wasn't threaded (useless hole below it is). Trick was to remove the cap cover just forward of it, epoxy a nut, pull it through with string, let it cure while I worked on the electrical, Fluid Filmed'd the bolt to reduce friction, then crossed my fingers that it wouldn't dislodge when I threaded the bolt into it. Worked fine.

I did receive an earlier version for a 2014 GMC 2500 diesel. On the invoice it stated it was for a 2015 but the AMP part number was for a 2014. This is why I needed a conversion kit. I ordered it and hope it works. Auto Anything, after an hour on the phone, took $75 off the price. I compromised and said ok. We had no problems with the mounting threaded holes. Installed good. There is a slight gap when retracted towards the rear of both driver and passenger side. Nice trick on epoxied nut, I'll remember that one when the need arises.

Glad it worked out for you. That extra expense still beats the pre-OBD-II electrification method.

FYI, I gave the mounting brackets, bolts and motors a spray with Fluid Film for weather protection. For that matter, I sprayed most of the undercarriage and suspension.

I ordered mine with the truck at the dealer. It was the newer OBDII model. Same price as most everywhere else (a bit more due to labor). They let me work alongside the tech doing the install so I learned a bunch tricks & tips. It was worth it. 100% perfect since day one. Just remember to check the mounting bolt torques every oil change or so. They loosen up a bit over time.

Another advantage was adding it to the truck's 36K miles/36 months warranty, in addition to AMP's Factory unlimited warranty. After a year, all is still 100% well with no issues. Even better, today, at my tax appointment, I wrote off the whole $1488 as disability assistance equipment.

Win... Win...

• 1 month later...

Follow up...700 miles later...heard that one of my lower mounting bolts was loose. Discovered all four to be loose. Re-tightened. Why they didn't come with lock washers or why I didn't use Loctite is a mystery. I'll rectify both soon. But still love these steps over anything else on the market.

Archived