Migraine inducing rattle from rear seat area FOUND

Well, props to mafd2 for pointing me in the right direction.

I FOUND what was rattling. Its a little metal cam piece in the hinge mechanism of both rear seats. If the seat is all the way up its engaged, as well if its all the way down. Since my sub box is just barely not letting the seat sit down all the way (even moved forward), its free to rattle.

See pics below.

Now what to do. There really isn't anyway to tighten it as it's put in via a rivet, and there is really no way to drill in out and replace with a bolt to tighten it. Its pivoting on the rivet. My plan is to lift the seats so they will sit down all the way. I had to do this with my previous truck (which was a Ford and the seat wouldn't lock down). I plan to place a few flat washers (appox 1/4in thick) under the seat brackets and give it a shot. Will update when I'm done tomorrow.

IMAG0136_zpsvmdgi9tn.jpg

IMAG0137_zpsx1tesvmj.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

hmm I will have to check mine. I don't have anything under the seats that are preventing it from going all the way down, but I get this really crazy rattle every so often.

Something I noticed is that (I think that seat would be considered "60/40?") the 40 part seems to lock into place better when lowered, while the 60 part doesn't seem to lock into place as well.

Your solution sounds like a good idea for your situation.

I took my sub box out and the rattle stopped so that is definitely the problem. The box is keeping the seats from going all the way down by about 1/8" or less but I guess that is enough to make a super loud noise. It sounds like someone slapping two pieces of metal together and it's driving me crazy.

Edited by Havoc5454

Can you put the magnet on without pulling out the seat?

Oh yeah I just lifted the seats up and stuck one to the inside of both hinge mechanisms. I drove around and adjusted them and the sound went away completely. I can snap a pic of where I put them if you want. I can finally leave my seats down with the sub box in. It is certainly much easier than pulling the back seats out and installing spacers or trying to alter the sub box itself.

Edited by Havoc5454

Oh yeah I just lifted the seats up and stuck one to the inside of both hinge mechanisms. I drove around and adjusted them and the sound went away completely. I can snap a pic of where I put them if you want. I can finally leave my seats down with the sub box in. It is certainly much easier than pulling the back seats out and installing spacers or trying to alter the sub box itself.

Sounds great, yes please post a pic of where to put the magnet and any tips.

Thank you, my back seat rattle is driving me crazy.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my 2015 is now making this noise.  I can't see the last picture in Havoc's post.  Does anybody know where to put the magnets?  Or did anybody find a different way to quiet the rattle?