Gps..Red X....No Compass

Driving today....GPS tracking fine on map....appears to be working fine.......BUT

Noticed a small rectangular box on the screen right under the digital time display.......in the box was "Gps" with a red X from corner to corner across the letters Gps. The little compass symbol in the top center of the screen was constantly saying N (orth) no matter which way I turned.

Also, on my dash display where the compass direction would normally display is said "CAL"

The whole time the GPS seemed to be tracking accurately.

When I got home I turned off the vehicle and went inside and came back in about 15 minutes to try it. Same thing. I was hoping something just needed to reset but I guess not.

It also appeared my forward collision warning was not working properly either. If a car was in front of me the little car icon in the dash display stayed solid green no matter how close I got to the vehicle while moving at normal speeds.

Jerry

2015 4x4 High Country diesel dually

Edited by jerryw1000

The OnStar antenna needs replaced. Water is getting into it. This happened to my 2015.5 about a month ago. This is a common problem from what I have read and what the dealership has told me.

Uncertain about the forward collision warning, I did not have that problem.

I jusr had the red x, compass not working and SiriusXM going in and out alot.

• Like 1

The OnStar antenna needs replaced. Water is getting into it. This happened to my 2015.5 about a month ago. This is a common problem from what I have read and what the dealership has told me.

Thanks jhplak325. It has been pouring rain here for about 5 days so that sounds about right. I guess it's off to see a dealer. Hope it's that simple.

Jerry

'15 High Country diesel 4x4 dually

OnStar backup battery is way to common on these Gen 10 OnStar systems, so I wouldn't rule out the dealer finding that part went bad. Never seen bad antennas other than water leak but you would have stains in the headliner or water dripping inside somewhere. There are two failure codes that set for the battery in the module and we've seen many as of recent, last 6 months say...

Took it to the dealer today. They diagnosed the antenna. There was a code set that indicated the antenna. Service writer found a GM bulletin where they acknowledged there was a problem with water getting into the OnStar antenna on some vehicles. There was no sign of water on the headliner or anywhere else. Service writer said the water actually gets into the electronics of the antenna and does not necessarily have to be enough to leak into the interior and that the most of the ones they had replaced had been on Cadillacs.

They have ordered the antenna. Said it was a new Part No. that would fix the problem and that it would already come painted. Guess we will see in a week or so.

Oh yeh....they also did a software update for the glow plugs.

Edited by jerryw1000

Dealer called this morning and said the part was in....bring it over. Took them about an hour and a half to put the new antenna on. It came painted. GPS box with red X gone...compass working on the GPS screen and in the dash EVIC.....CAL message gone.

Jerry

2015 High Country HD Diesel Long Bed 4x4 Dually.

• 3 years later...

Thank you for this information. Mine is doing the same thing. I did find a service bulletin by gm but you only had so long to bring it in to have it replaced at gm expense.  I have a car fax report but it doesn’t show if it’s been replaced. Did the issue fix your collision sensor issue?

gary

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is anyone seeing this GPS with driver information compass direction displaying "CAL" on a 2019 Sierra?   My truck is pretty new (4 months, 3500 miles) and in the last 10 days or so, started showing GPS with diagonal line in the onboard display, and often showing CAL where the compass heading would display in my driver info center, lower left corner under the MPH.   Sometimes the GPS & compass appear normal, sometimes not.

If I look at my navigation system, the map is appears to be tracking my location, though points me slightly off the roads I travel.

Yes, we just started having some rains after a rather long dry spell, but I noticed the issue slightly before the weather shift.

Update 1/13/2020:  My GPS with faulty compass reading, sometimes showing CAL got up to about 70% of my time.   It's at the dealership for recalls and general maintenance.  They can't diagnose the problem because it's not happening right now.  I get it, I do.  It's just a pain in the tush and I want the feature working.  At least it goes on file as being reported before the warrantee on this sort of thing goes out.

Edited by Nan C
Append current status

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem on my 2016 and it was fixed about six weeks ago...

Mine started out as the intermittent red line through the GPS and no compass on the center dash, but the Navigation still worked. Eventually it Nav started to fail also by showed me tracking off the road a little, but all would occasionally return to normal. After about six months, Nav was completely wrong, and red line was through the GPS and compass was gone (not intermittent - complete failure). I first checked with an OnStar tech by calling in and they gave me a generic code of a fault in their system (can't recall code number) and to take it to the dealer for repair. Prior to that, I looked up that code and it comes back as the Onstar Module behind the Infotainment screen or the antenna. Knowing their have been years of issues with water intrusion in the antenna, I figured it was the issue. But, the good news for me is I've never had any leakage in the cab like I know so many others have had.

I stopped by the dealer...the service manage stepped up on the side of the truck and wiggled the antenna. Water oozed out and it hadn't rained in a few days. He knew the gasket had failed and water shorted out the antenna. They ordered a replacement (didn't have my color in stock) and swapped it a couple days later. Problem fixed. No issues since.