Door Panel Trim Noise

The next noise/vibration I want to squelch is in the silver trim on the drivers side door panel. I have the Bose radio and when I play a cd or my ipod this trim makes a rattling noise. I can hold a little pressure on t.he trim and the noise is gone. Any ideas on how ?

I've got a similiar rattle noise coming from my door/window area but it comes and goes based on the weather. The colder it is the worse it gets but can get even worse with the radio on. It is probably a clip in the door rattling but I have not had the chance to take the door off and investigate.

The next noise/vibration I want to squelch is in the silver trim on the drivers side door panel. I have the Bose radio and when I play a cd or my ipod this trim makes a rattling noise. I can hold a little pressure on t.he trim and the noise is gone. Any ideas on how ?

Had the same thing recently, went to the dealer and they said the Bose speaker in the door wasn't installed correctly, so they fixed/adjusted it and the rattle is now gone from the passenger door. Oddly enough I noticed this now happen yesterday with the driver driver so back it'll go to the dealer. I'm thinking the assembly of these in Mexico wasn't too good.

I pulled most of my drivers door apart and put automotive rope caulking everywhere. On this panel there is some foam across the top where it hooks behind the door panel. The bottom has several metal clips holding the panel in. I put some rope caulking across the top to help the foam, but I think most of the problem was the bottom. I put rope caulking where ever there was a flat mating surface. You may also want to put some behind the door panel close to the door hinges. Mine was rattling the worst there.

When mine rattles it is usually below 70 degrees outside so some piece of plastic has shrunk down just enough to rattle. If I push against the door really hard (from the inside) or the window it will stop.

I kind of like the rope caulk idea. Where did you find this at? I have seen it in older cars but never saw it at parts stores.

I can just put light pressure on the silver trim just below the door handle and the noise goes away. I sure hate to take the door panel off and break something to try and eliminate this rattle.

Any links to door panel removal on a 2014?

Here is what I used. I was not really impressed with it. The paper that was used to separate the strips is not the greatest, it sticks to this paper quite well.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black-Strip-Calk/dp/B000PEZ1L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447360257&sr=8-1&keywords=rope+caulk+automotive

Here is a video on YouTube for how to remove the door panel. I did not actually remove the panel, just took out the screws and pulled it away from the door.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting the video. After watching your video, there was another that shows exactly how to remove the piece that is making the noise in my truck. I may have to make a stop by Autozone and see if I can come up with some trim removal tools similar to his. I have one trim removal tool and it may do the job just as well. Hopefully this weekend will be the end of the noise. If not, I will see about adding some tape to the trim or something to take up some of the gap to keep it from vibrating.

Here is the video that I saw in case anyone is wondering what it takes to get the door panel removed. The piece I want to remove starts at 2:00 mark.

When mine rattles it is usually below 70 degrees outside so some piece of plastic has shrunk down just enough to rattle. If I push against the door really hard (from the inside) or the window it will stop.

Could be the black plastic piece that goes around the top of the door. This is where mine was popping you can pull out on the plastic and stick foam weather stripping between the plastic and the metal of the door I used 3/16 inch thick and cut strips about 1 1/2 inches long and placed them about ever 3 inches apart and stopped mine from popping. The drivers door was the only one popping and did it from day one every time you hit bumps.

Could be the black plastic piece that goes around the top of the door. This is where mine was popping you can pull out on the plastic and stick foam weather stripping between the plastic and the metal of the door I used 3/16 inch thick and cut strips about 1 1/2 inches long and placed them about ever 3 inches apart and stopped mine from popping. The drivers door was the only one popping and did it from day one every time you hit bumps.

Thanks, sounds just like my problem. I am at work and not near my truck but are you talking about pulling the weather stripping on the door or on the frame where the door closes to?

Did the fix that Southern Sierra posted above and it seems to have worked for me. The popping sound was near non existent in the summer but colder weather made it come and go. Stuffed some 1/8 inch thick foam all around the plastic and now no more popping. GM should have put a foam backing on this trim part but I am sure it saved them a few cents per truck.

I kind of like the rope caulk idea. Where did you find this at? I have seen it in older cars but never saw it at parts stores.

I can just put light pressure on the silver trim just below the door handle and the noise goes away. I sure hate to take the door panel off and break something to try and eliminate this rattle.

Any links to door panel removal on a 2014?

Try automotive paint supply stores. I remember buying extremely sticky rope body seam caulk in one of those stores. NAPA might also carry it. I have not seen it in regular auto parts stores.

Today I bought some plastic trim removal tools and removed the silver trim on the drivers door. I placed 3 strips the length of the area between the attachment points on the door. Pressed the trim back in place and there is no rattling there I am happy to report. Here is the foam I used in the area between the attachment points.

20151120_174757_zpshbzgbsqm.jpg

Today I bought some plastic trim removal tools and removed the silver trim on the drivers door. I placed 3 strips the length of the area between the attachment points on the door. Pressed the trim back in place and there is no rattling there I am happy to report. Here is the foam I used in the area between the attachment points.

20151120_174757_zpshbzgbsqm.jpg

That's not acceptable. The tape is made in USA.

Archived