Speed Limiter

Horacio

Drove my buddy's 2015 6.2 Yukon Denali XL and was getting around some slower traffic on the freeway. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the speedo go past 104mph.

So why is the Sierra Denali with a 6.2 governed to 98 when the Yukon clearly isn't?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove my buddy's 2015 6.2 Yukon Denali XL and was getting around some slower traffic on the freeway. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the speedo go past 104mph.

So why is the Sierra Denali with a 6.2 governed to 98 when the Yukon clearly isn't?

My 2015 Denali 6.2 is definitely not governed at 98. Not when "easing in to it" and not when "punching it" either. I tested it in the Utah desert. Easily went up over 100.

What I don't understand is how someone can be going that fast and not notice it. Then again, most of the interstates (I81) where I live have a speed limit of 65 at the fastest. Never seen a road around here faster than 65mph.

My Sierra had the 20's on when I purchased, his has the 22's.

I replaced my 20's with 22's at 500 miles. So maybe there's some validation to your reply. :)

But did you check the speed rating on the sides of the tires? Tires have both a speed rating and a load rating.

Same size tires can be available in different ratings.

From tirereack website:

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h Temporary Spare Tires
N 87 mph 140km/h
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

What I don't understand is how someone can be going that fast and not notice it. Then again, most of the interstates (I81) where I live have a speed limit of 65 at the fastest. Never seen a road around here faster than 65mph.

In much of the west the Interstate speeds have been raised to 80 mph. I understand there is a section in Texas where 85 is being 'tested'.

Archived