Turning in my Ford

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't buy a GM 6 because it will affect your resale. Dealers love to push them because GM makes them take a certain amount of 6s, and there isn't a strong market for them in a truck.

IMO, If you don't tow or haul weight regularly, the 5.3l will be a much better choice.

I'm leasing so I'm not concerned about the resale value. I haul a atv in the summer a couple times other than that its basically used for maintenance on my house/property so very light duty work. It's also my daily commuter, 90% hwy miles.

I'm leasing so I'm not concerned about the resale value. I haul a atv in the summer a couple times other than that its basically used for maintenance on my house/property so very light duty work. It's also my daily commuter, 90% hwy miles.

You should be concerned about resale value because it directly impacts your lease payment.

I have been leasing my trucks and every time my lease was up I got more then what was needed to purchase my truck at trade in and that extra goes towards the new truck lease making it even cheaper. The more your truck is worth over the residual vale at the end of your lease is money in the bank.

I had a CC with short bed 15 Silverado with the 6 banger as a rental. Actually hauled some heavy loads , like more than 1200 lbs. it drive nice , and has decent power but like most said I would go for 5.3. I did have to give some gas on some incline hills and the motor was working hard.

To be honest with you I really hope gm does a small turbo option instead of the v6

Just not enough advanatges to the 6 besides price , in getting over a 5.3

Another vote for the 5.3. If you go with a GM truck, I think you'll be glad you switched. My lease on my 14 is up in a little over a year. I hope mine is worth more then than the contract residual. They just keep raising the price of these trucks.

Another vote for the 5.3. If you go with a GM truck, I think you'll be glad you switched. My lease on my 14 is up in a little over a year. I hope mine is worth more then than the contract residual. They just keep raising the price of these trucks.

Yep. Almost wish I had leased, now. I've never leased before, but I really like the idea of getting a new truck every 2-3 years, especially now with how fast these things are changing / improving.

And the prices are definitely going up. Used to be you'd only lease a lux vehicle that was out of your range. Now, these trucks are more than many lux sedans and suv's. Also means mine will not depreciate as much as before.

Yep. Almost wish I had leased, now. I've never leased before, but I really like the idea of getting a new truck every 2-3 years, especially now with how fast these things are changing / improving.

And the prices are definitely going up. Used to be you'd only lease a lux vehicle that was out of your range. Now, these trucks are more than many lux sedans and suv's. Also means mine will not depreciate as much as before.

This right here, trying to get more than you can afford by leasing to keep up with the jones' is not smart. This is part of what got the country in trouble the last time we went in to a recession. Buy what you can afford. Always carrying a payment is pretty much never a smart decision long term and you never have an asset for your payments. Most of the time people who lease are just into having the new hot vehicle at a price they can afford. Great article on it:

http://www.moneyunder30.com/why-you-should-never-lease-a-car

5.3 gets better mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um no, fuelly shows a constant 1 mpg better which is exactly what GM shows.

I wouldn't buy a GM 6 because it will affect your resale. Dealers love to push them because GM makes them take a certain amount of 6s, and there isn't a strong market for them in a truck.

IMO, If you don't tow or haul weight regularly, the 5.3l will be a much better choice.

You have that backwards, if you tow get the 5.3, if you don't (often or lighter loads) get the 4.3. The 4.3 got some great reviews, if i wasn't planning on eventually picking up a 23+ foot boat I probably would have gone that route as I wanted an LT (not a fan of leather and 20's).

OP, as noted above it is a consistant 1 mpg better or more in other instances. It has plenty of power and costs less up front. It might depreiciate a little more than the 5.3 but not enough I would be concern on price difference. In the long run it is a depreciation asset, both will be worth less and percentage wise closer in difference when new. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route, my neighbor across the street loves his, says it moves out well and is very happy with the mpg over his old ford.

Tyler

I'm leasing my truck too, and opted for the v6. Cheaper payment, cheaper to ensure, (marginally) better gas mileage, and if I do decide to keep it at lease end, my purchase price is killer.

It has plenty of get-up-and go in the power department, and actually tows more than the standard v8 configuration (3.08 gears). Wwhen a few people asked if I got the 8 after taking them on a ride they tried calling BS that it was a 6.

I don't do any towing with it, but if I did I'd be towing 3500lbs max, and I have done a few heavy hauls (1000lbs) and she runs like a champ.

5.3's are certainly more popular, but you know, everyone has to wave their man-card!

The 4.3 is rated at 7200lbs towing when you get the 3.42 and towing package. I leased mine as ive seen what other trucks look like here in the north after 4-5 years. I'm getting to the point where i don't want to work on my vehicles or pay to have it done. The truck pulls my 5800 TT just fine (I would not go thru the Rockies with it) but in the flat lands of the Midwest it has done just fine. It has just as much HP as the old 4.8 motor and real close to the early 5.3 numbers. I only tow once a month maybe twice from may to Sept. So for me I get the benefits of better mileage the rest of the year.

Archived