Radio upgrade from factory i0b

Dude thank you so much. Can't thank you enough. I got really discouraged when I looked under mine and seen that plug all the to the right "the dummy plug" and thought that was for the camera but when I pulled the plug out it had no pins in it. But your saying it's the one next to that dummy plug which I do have

If you have the tailgate lock it's the same plug.

And with my IOB radio I don't have an hmi. The camera connection is different than those with the IO5/IO6 radio.

GMupfitter.com has all the pinouts for the IOB radio in the electrical manual so you can locate the camera wires in the dash.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv. The power of Android combined with the security of BlackBerry.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have the tailgate lock. So your saying I'd have to get the camera from an older truck like a 2015 and wire it to the radio?

Maybe I should clarify, if you have the factory installed electric tailgate lock.

I'm saying you will have to get the whole tailgate harness or add the pins needed for the camera. You could pull your tailgate cover to see if the camera wires are already in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe I should clarify, if you have the factory installed electric tailgate lock.

I'm saying you will have to get the whole tailgate harness or add the pins needed for the camera. You could pull your tailgate cover to see if the camera wires are already in place.

I could pull the cover and check. Can't I also just check the x900 plug and see if all the wires are there from the diagram you provided from gmupfitters

Either way would work

First off thanks again for being super helpful. I check my truck today. On the plug side that goes to the tailgate handle I only have 2 wires going into the tailgate. On the plug side that goes to the module under the spare tire I have ever wire in that plug and matched it up to the diagram you sent me with the pinouts. All the camera wire colors are there. Could it be possible that all I need to do is get the camera and harness that goes into the tailgate and it would work? On a side note I have been exchanging emails with an eBay seller oemgmnavigation and he is telling me I need a different i0b radio, the camera, and a 21 ft harness to run to the radio. This don't sound right if I have all the wires in the plug

First off thanks again for being super helpful. I check my truck today. On the plug side that goes to the tailgate handle I only have 2 wires going into the tailgate. On the plug side that goes to the module under the spare tire I have ever wire in that plug and matched it up to the diagram you sent me with the pinouts. All the camera wire colors are there. Could it be possible that all I need to do is get the camera and harness that goes into the tailgate and it would work? On a side note I have been exchanging emails with an eBay seller oemgmnavigation and he is telling me I need a different i0b radio, the camera, and a 21 ft harness to run to the radio. This don't sound right if I have all the wires in the plug

It would be awesome if it was that simple. Do you have a buddy that has a 2016 with a camera so that you could give it a try? What does your screen do when you put your truck in Reverse? I would think that you would have to get some programming done. Which may or maynot be approved. In the GMupfitter.com tech bulletins there are articles for camera delete and camera add for box delete trucks as well as directions for a different camera part number.

Not saying it's a certainty, but this bulletin says it can be done if there was a box delete so why can't it be done for a new tailgate handle and harness? Definitely check with your dealer, maybe even print out this bulletin when you go in and see if they can do it.

http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/681/UI%20Bulletin_127d.pdf

On the last page it clearly tells the dealer to change, remove or add the RPO codes needed.

It would be awesome if it was that simple. Do you have a buddy that has a 2016 with a camera so that you could give it a try? What does your screen do when you put your truck in Reverse? I would think that you would have to get some programming done. Which may or maynot be approved. In the GMupfitter.com tech bulletins there are articles for camera delete and camera add for box delete trucks as well as directions for a different camera part number.

Not saying it's a certainty, but this bulletin says it can be done if there was a box delete so why can't it be done for a new tailgate handle and harness? Definitely check with your dealer, maybe even print out this bulletin when you go in and see if they can do it.

http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/681/UI%20Bulletin_127d.pdf

On the last page it clearly tells the dealer to change, remove or add the RPO codes needed.

My local gm dealer is not the brightest at all. I'm really curious if the part number in that bulletin for 2016 camera comes with the harness.i searched that part number and the camera is only $100

My local gm dealer is not the brightest at all. I'm really curious if the part number in that bulletin for 2016 camera comes with the harness.i searched that part number and the camera is only $100

Keep in mind that part number is for a stand alone camera without a bed therefore won't integrate with your electric locking tailgate. You may be able to piece harnesses together since it will most likely come with the correct pins. Just use the correct tool to remove them from the plug and then insert into your current plug.

I think you will need programming regardless and should definitely clarify with service before purchasing any parts that can't be returned. On the flip side you could buy the parts then if they won't do it then you can sell them on ebay.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv. The power of Android combined with the security of BlackBerry.

I found a coworker with a 2016 with a back up camera and took his vin number and called a gm parts dealer and ordered the correct camera for the 2016. I'm waiting to get the camera and make sure its right and I can get it work before I post the part number. I also agree that the radio needs to be programmed to accept the canera so next is to find a dealership that's competent enough to do it

Just an update to everyone I got the proper part number for 2016 back up camera. It's part number 23363727. The tailgate handles are all the same as long as you get one with the camera hole. Going to plug it up today and see what happens. Most likely will need some sort of dealer programming

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived