Android Auto Update

slk

I'm interested in this also, especially since it has been announced on GM's website. Unfortunately when I called my dealer they claim they have never heard of this update.

Had the installation done today, After dealer found the disk they to for several days knew nothing about it until I printed out the the notification on the GM Web site

Anyway nothing to get too excited about Google maps and several apps will work as long as you set these apps on phone as default voice search for Google maps works well just remember android auto is only on version 1.2 or slightly higher and your android version must be lollipop 5.0 or higher for android auto to work on your phone

Just sayin nothing to great with this version but I will keep playing with it

• 1 month later...

I've had the update for about a month now and like slk said I had to show the dealership my email from GMC because they knew nothing about it.

I also agree that it isn't anything to get to excited about, Google maps, Google play and text works...most of the time. Steering wheel controls don't work except for the volume control. Sound quality using Google play is mediocre at best and volume has to be turned all the way up to hear it.

The phone has to be plugged in with a usb cord and continually losses connection, so you have to unplug it and then plug it back in often. I have tried it on a Samsung Galaxy S6 running lollipop 5.0, Samsung Note 4 running lollipop 5.1.1 and a Galaxy S7 running marshmallow 6.0. The two phones using lollipop OS have the same issues and the newer marshmallow OS that most new androids phone are using will not work at all.

Seems to me that this upgrade to Android Auto wasn't well planned by GMC and needs much work. When I talked to the dealership they say it is an Android issue and Google says it is a software issue with GMC, either way I hope they come out with an update to fix these issues.

My 16 Canyon was having many issues with Bluetooth connectivity with Lollipop 5.0, Android Auto updated and it worked great imo. Loved it...
Yesterday I upgraded to Marshmallow 6.0 and so far this morning, I have had no Bluetooth issues at all. I haven't tried the Android Auto yet with the upgraded OS. Lets hope It still works.

• 3 weeks later...

I got it done 'just because' I'd heard there were some other updates to the Carplay side (I have an iphone). I'm still learning all of the systems quirkiness.....and its still quirky after the update.

I have Navigation....and had several saved locations and/or Favorite Contacts/POI's saved in my Nav system. After the update, all of that was GONE and I had to start all over again.

I had to start all over from scratch, including pair my phone, yadda yadda yadda. That was a bit disappointing that I lost all my saved locations in the Nav setup. I wished I would've known that was gonna happen. Radio presets were still intact.

I'm curious how to backup this stuff in case this happens again.

If you have Navigation and get the update - make sure you ask them (or demand) they backup all your Navigation data. I'm assuming they should know how to do this??

Archived