Breaking in New Truck

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, read the owner's manual front to back. I believe it says not to accelerate quickly, don't tow and try to avoid long highway trips. I'm not 100%, however. I'd follow whatever its guidance is because, well, they make the truck and must know it best.

This is in the book but for some reason it's something I personally believe is among the most important. It's ok to take it in the highway, but don't stay at a continuous speed for long periods. Vary speed/engine rpm pretty regularly.

I'm my owner's manual it says not to tow for the first 800km or 500 miles, and not to tow over 50mph the first 500 miles you tow (which I don't think anyone would obey that last part.)

"Driving it like you stole it" is the worst possible advice to give someone else.

Just drive it normal.

Gas engine break in is no big deal.

Diesel on the other hand, I would suggest breaking it in very easy, and allow time for a proper warm up when cold. Tolerances are much tighter, and being respectful of that goes a long way.

"Driving it like you stole it" is the worst possible advice to give someone else.

Just drive it normal.

Gas engine break in is no big deal.

Diesel on the other hand, I would suggest breaking it in very easy, and allow time for a proper warm up when cold. Tolerances are much tighter, and being respectful of that goes a long way.

It ain't a Ford George and I didn't read anything about it being a diesel in the OP. I know from personal experiences that the trucks and cars that I broke in by running them hard gave much less problems and outlasted the ones that I babied.

I know from personal experiences that the trucks and cars that I broke in by running them hard gave much less problems and outlasted the ones that I babied.

Agree....

This is a different vehicle, but I had a 135i 9k miles bought from original owner, very low miles for a 5 year old car. He was proud at the fact he never took it above 4k RPM. Well I did and threw a rod bearing on piston #5 wasn't a manual that got over revved either.

When I used to build performance engines (just for myself not a "builder") I would follow hard break-in procedure. With a new vehicle from a major manufacturer, the only thing I do outside the manual is my first oil change interval. Usually around 500-750 miles.

All the new vehicles we have purchased, we drove them the same off the lot as the vehicle we just traded in. No issues with any of them. This started back in 1988 when i purchased my first new vehicle. Have had 5 new vehicles since then.

Archived