k&n cold air intake

i have a 2016 silverado lt v8 5.3 and was wondering any one install cold air intake on your chev and any problems affecting warranty or the truck itself,is this recommended, i cannot get a straight answer from the dealership

No issue at all warranty wise, GM even offers a CAI thru the performance parts catalog for the K2xx trucks. As long as you install it correctly then you will be fine. Most will say to not use a oiled filter like K&N, but I've never had a problem with them. My current setup is a dry filter Airaid system.

Nothing wrong with K&N. There are those who say K&N messed up their trucks or MAF however K&N has proven time and time again that when you install and oil the filter properly and don't have a heavily modified engine that will suck the filter into the intake of the engine, it ends up being a very very good investment. Great sound, with a note of performance increase. There will always be nay sayers, but K&N has one of if not the best Q/C and testing of their products and they stand behind them. They will back you up if the dealer gives you any grief over having one.

With a DI engine, intake valve coking is a potential problem. Using a K&N air filter adds a source of dirt and oil that will end up on intake valves. The OEM paper filters filter better, and will flow way more air than the engine will pull.

With a DI engine, intake valve coking is a potential problem. Using a K&N air filter adds a source of dirt and oil that will end up on intake valves. The OEM paper filters filter better, and will flow way more air than the engine will pull.

This is the wildest and most incorrect thing I have seen in awhile. There is not nearly enough oil in a K&N filter to "coat the valves" with oil and dirt, I mean unless you are rigging up some sort of automatic oiling device that continually sprays oil on the filter for some reason or are cleaning the filter daily and purposely over oiling it. I have been using K&N filters since 1990 and never had a issue ever with on in any regards to either killing a MAF or a transmission. I oiled them as per the instructions and they work just fine.

This is the wildest and most incorrect thing I have seen in awhile. There is not nearly enough oil in a K&N filter to "coat the valves" with oil and dirt, I mean unless you are rigging up some sort of automatic oiling device that continually sprays oil on the filter for some reason or are cleaning the filter daily and purposely over oiling it. I have been using K&N filters since 1990 and never had a issue ever with on in any regards to either killing a MAF or a transmission. I oiled them as per the instructions and they work just fine.

The correct term is "coke" not "coat". How many vehicles have you used a K&N air filter on have had DI?

Here are some photos at the same magnification, of K&N filter media, vs OEM paper filter media. This clearly shows why the K&N passes more dirt (and oil) than the OEM paper filter does:

K&N filter media:

i-cLjDNkh-X3.jpg

OEM paper filter media:

i-jvp2HVv-X3.jpg

Actually it's not...good number of "dusted" turbo diesels out there to justify that statement. The dirt passed through a K&N filter caused scored cylinders. I know I had a K&N on a 99 Dodge Cummins and could wipe a dirty film out of the intake tube that was passed by that media, I promptly removed it from that truck.

I think K&N has changed their media since then though...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that K&N was originally meant for circle track racing, where high flow and some dirt ingestion was acceptable because the engine was rebuilt periodically...that didn't work so well when they moved into the daily driver market. Again, I am fairly sure they have since changed their media, but problems did exist.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Well from the test shared on this side, the AC Delco paper filter with just the Airaid M.I.T. tune flows better than a full K&N intake kit and others. I'm glad I went the Airaid M.I.T. route this time with my '14 instead of a full intake kit like I did on my '98.

As far as the oiled filters, I think as long as the filter isn't over oiled it shouldn't have any oil coming from the filter itself.

The correct term is "coke" not "coat". How many vehicles have you used a K&N air filter on have had DI?

Here are some photos at the same magnification, of K&N filter media, vs OEM paper filter media. This clearly shows why the K&N passes more dirt (and oil) than the OEM paper filter does:

K&N filter media:

i-cLjDNkh-X3.jpg

OEM paper filter media:

i-jvp2HVv-X3.jpg

So now we are pouring a name brand soda on the intake valves, what good will that do. Do the DI engines need some caffeine to start their day right? Or did you mean "cook" the valves?

Even still, no issues at all. Not enough oil is going to come out of a properly oiled K&N filter to do a thing, my 2016 truck is my 3rd vehicle with DI and none of them had any issues at all with oiled filters on them.

So now we are pouring a name brand soda on the intake valves, what good will that do. Do the DI engines need some caffeine to start their day right? Or did you mean "cook" the valves?

Even still, no issues at all. Not enough oil is going to come out of a properly oiled K&N filter to do a thing, my 2016 truck is my 3rd vehicle with DI and none of them had any issues at all with oiled filters on them.

From your comment, you don't have a clue what intake valve coking is. Educate yourself by reading this article on intake valve coking. Hopefully, you will be able to comprehend it:

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/general-technical-discussion/52026-understanding-intake-valve-coking-di-engines.html

The term is Coking, not coke. I am aware of it and once again still not an issue that will be changed or made worse from running a properly oiled K&N air filter.

When everything is said and done, there will always be haters for whatever reason. K&N has been in the CAI business longer than anyone else and stands behind their product, regardless of what application it is used for. I'm betting they have the best Q/C out there out of all the air filter manufacturers, and they know their stuff. If they didn't, they wouldn't stay in business in this day and age. The next time any of you are in Riverside, CA- I'd like to invite you to go take a tour of the facility and talk to them about any concerns/questions you have. These people know their stuff. Do they make the best application for your vehicle? That's up to you to educate yourself and decide. But I am very pleased with my experience with K&N products, and am damn proud to have a K&N drop in filter in my truck. If it didn't make any difference for me, I would have stuck with the regular factory/WIX filter, which no doubt is also a good product, and I have nothing bad to say about them.

http://www.knfilters.com/kn_engineering.aspx

Cheers.

Archived