Lost Key and Fob

So it happened-I lost my set of keys. Luckily I found my spare set so I'm good for the moment.

A local dealership quoted me $45 for a key that I could program myself and $120 for a key fob+$40 for them to program the fob.

Do these prices sound average? I'm going to call around to other dealerships in my area (currently in N. Dallas, TX) to get a feel tomorrow.

I saw some remotes that claim to be OEM on eBay for $50. I'd still have to get the dealership to program but that's $70 saved off what I was quoted for the remote. Anyone have any experience going the 'ebay' route?

Edited by jasch1124

Fair price for the key. They run about 35 on Ebay cut for OEMs. Cheaper for aftermarket. The fobs run about 2 for 40 on Ebay. Dealer charged me 30 bucks to program them both.

That's great feedback! I'll probably order them from eBay once I give up looking for the ones I lost. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealer is right on the $$$ with those prices, so kudos to them for not marking them up or lying to you.

That's good to know that I have a dealership by me that isn't price gouging.

The dealership that quoted me was Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson, TX for those of you in the area.

if you do buy the key off ebay, could you share a link to the item and let us know how it works?

I want to get a spare key myself. It looks like all the keys on ebay are generic, not Chevy or GMC keys.

Sure! If I decide to order anything from eBay I'll post what I ordered and how it went.

if you do buy the key off ebay, could you share a link to the item and let us know how it works?

I want to get a spare key myself. It looks like all the keys on ebay are generic, not Chevy or GMC keys.

Pleany of OEM high security keys on Ebay. Just have to pick between pre-recall keys and post recall keys. Some will even cut them if you give them a key number or send pictures.

• 2 months later...

Dealer will up the price to program the key if you don't get the key from them, so in the end you have more hassle without much savings.I asked about a third key fob at the dealer, they told me $350-400. I ended up cheapening out and going with this sentry key/smart key that the dealer offered. It has no fob but you can unlock the door and start the ignition for $75. After three attempts in failing to program it properly I took it back to the dealer. I'd unlock the door with it, and immediately the alarm would go off. Not a nice feature when I'm out camping! I just like to have two keys on me when I travel, and a spare at home. Then i contact to Locksmith and he made me new key at affordable prices and in a very less time.

Dealer will up the price to program the key if you don't get the key from them, so in the end you have more hassle without much savings.I asked about a third key fob at the dealer, they told me $350-400. I ended up cheapening out and going with this sentry key/smart key that the dealer offered. It has no fob but you can unlock the door and start the ignition for $75. After three attempts in failing to program it properly I took it back to the dealer. I'd unlock the door with it, and immediately the alarm would go off. Not a nice feature when I'm out camping! I just like to have two keys on me when I travel, and a spare at home. Then i contact to Locksmith and he made me new key at affordable prices and in a very less time.

You need to spend some time with the owners manual. You can program the key yourself. No dealer is needed. And OEM key cut and ready to use costed me about $35 from Ebay for the last 3 I purchased.