Cooling fans always running?

The same thing has happened to me in my 2014 5.3L, 150K+. Drove all day without issue but when at a mile away from my house, the fans started up at very high speed. The internal temp gauge was no where near midway and outside temp was about 40 degrees F. I unplugged the negative battery terminal for a second (10mm socket) which killed the fans immediately. She started up just fine this morning with no residual issues. I'm keeping a 10mm closed end wrench in the center console just in case it happens again.

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Iam having a problem with my 2014 Silverado LTZ with the fan staying on full speed (sometimes ) when I shut the truck off. I can hit the key again and the fan will stop. I took it to the shop and they told me that it was my thermostat.  That just dont sound rite to me it's not running hot or above 210 as normal. Any information  would be great. Thanks 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, Sha2014 said:

The other thing is watch the volt gauge. Mine is dropping to almost 10/11 when stopped. We checked the air filter so I unplugged the MAF. I was able to get my fans to stop running at high speed once I cycled the key on and off a couple time and wiggled the MAF back and forth. Hopefully it stays working properly! I have a 2014 Silverado with 79k miles. 

I am having the same problem on my 2014 Chevy Silverado LT. when I crank the truck up my fans come on full blast and stay running full blast until I reach my destination and continue to run for another 10 minutes after I cut off the engine???!! I need some answer if you may have any? Seeing you’ve had the same issue

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed HID’S in my 2014 GMC Sierra slt 5.3, I unplugged the Mass air flow sensor to get airbox out and plugged it back in to start up got fans running and check engine light on ??    It’s been sitting for 3 hours during the light install . Now it runs with fans on and engine light on ? I turned it off cause I didn’t want to drive it 

Edited by Determined

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ and I am having the same issue. It started about 2 months ago, the fan just runs constantly and I cannot figure out why.

Last summer, I had to have the A/C  compressor replaced and 2 days later, again blowing hot air. So the dealership had to replace it again.  In Jan, my son found a small package containing the seals for one of the compressor lines ... just sitting up on the ledge right by the windshield wipers.    And guess what.... the A/C is not working again!!!

I would love to be able to just add those seals to the compressor line and switch out a fan relay.... that would be optimal for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

I am currently having the same problem. The truck hasn’t even run you turn it on and the fans are going full speed. I thought maybe running the ac was the problem but it doesn’t appear to be. The fans stay on after the truck is turned off. I was wondering if it is the fan clutch? Any input would be great! Thank you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zach9 said:

I am currently having the same problem. The truck hasn’t even run you turn it on and the fans are going full speed. I thought maybe running the ac was the problem but it doesn’t appear to be. The fans stay on after the truck is turned off. I was wondering if it is the fan clutch? Any input would be great! Thank you

Welcome to the site.

You do not have clutch fans on the K2's, they are electric.

This may help you.

1 hour ago, Zach9 said:

I unhooked the battery for like 30 min and it didn’t kick back on so maybe it reset. Will see in the time coming! Thank you for your input and will definitely look at that!

You are very welcome.

Good luck, and keep posting.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/6/2016 at 8:04 AM, Dnt said:

WYes I had some strange issues with the cooling fan on my old 2014 5.3. The fan would come on at unexpected times and run for a good bit of time when i knew it was totally unneeded. Was intermittent and the dealer said waaaiiiiiit for it................. NORMAL

On 12/6/2016 at 8:04 AM, Dnt said:

WYes I had some strange issues with the cooling fan on my old 2014 5.3. The fan would come on at unexpected times and run for a good bit of time when i knew it was totally unneeded. Was intermittent and the dealer said waaaiiiiiit for it................. NORMAL

• 7 months later...

This just started on my truck.  Twice in a week. 15 Sierra with 218k.  Ive had LEDs for 2 years and have never adjusted the MAF so I do not think it is related to either of those.  I could possibly see thermostat issue but there has to be a better way to let know there is an issue than leave the cooling fans on.  
 I’ll post if I find the root cause. 

• Like 1