I think reloading might be something I'd like to take up. As it is, I save all my cases, and have hundreds. I don't like to throw perfectly good things away. I'd probably reload a couple rifle calibers, and maybe 9mm.

This video covers pretty much everything I know about reloading so far:

I've seen videos of 4 place presses, and at this point, I think I'd feel much more comfortable with the single stage system. I like the idea of checking each primer for correct placement, and would like a fairly consistent powder charge and case length. Additionally, if I really get to squeezing accuracy out of the rifle, I'd probably be weighing cases anyway.

Being a Hornady bullet fan, their kit caught my eye. The price seems comparable with what I'd pay for the individual components, plus I'd get their manual. I do really like the idea of being able to change dies easily, and the spare bushings are very affordable.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Classic-Kit

Any thoughts on this? Would it be better to assemble my own setup? Are there any things that I'll want to upgrade after a few hundred rounds worth of loading, and I should just buy up front? It'll probably be a few months before I get the wheels turning on this, but I'm floating thoughts around of what I want to do.

Thanks guys!

Unless you are going for competion with a rifle, there is no need to weigh cases for a typical 100yd hunting rifle...I have quite a few that three rounds down range can be covered with a dime at a 100yd. The main thing is finding a powder/primer/bullet/bullet weight combination that works.

My 375 Ruger target with a midrange load (no load tweaking at all, literally picked the load between lowest and max with the components I wanted to try) is shown.

My only other suggestion is as soon as you drop the powder into a cartridge, either seat a bullet in the case or put a bullet in nose down in the case to prevent the human error of a double charge.

Otherwise pick a kit, then tweak from there...you may find things that don't suite your needs or things that another component does that you like. I have a collage of reloading equipment, any from Dillon to Reading, and everything in between...I would guess some of the dies and books I have are aproaching 100 years old at this point. Point is, find the pieces that work for you, they literally last forever if taken care of...

547384910bfd4e6a7bb8c22a1cc2dc80.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I love the Hornady Lock n Load press. Can really churn out the rounds, once it's all set up and dialed in. I bought the optional (at least it was at the time) case feeder, which was a huge time saver. It does jam up every so often, but not too often - mostly if you overload the feeder with brass.

My only gripe with it was the primer feed tube - seemed like I would run out of primers every 2 minutes when I was really cranking them out. There's a stick that sits inside to gauge the primer level - I had to mark it, so I'd know when it would be getting close. I loaded quite a few rounds sans primers. That's a pain in the ass when that happens. Since I marked it, I haven't done that since. Would be nice having something like the Dillan that sounds an alarm when the primers are getting low.

I had a few things come loose on me, but that was mostly my fault for rushing through assembly. It's been a great system.

Oh, that flap of cardboard I taped there was to keep the brass from spilling out the side. Every so often that would happen, and either jam up the works, or feed the brass in upside down. That little flap stopped all that surprisingly.

Press%20Hornady%20Lock%20n%20Load%20guns

My buddy and I started with a single stage press, we'll never go back to one. The only reason we'd even entertain going back is maybe super duper accuracy competitions. Otherwise I'll stick with my Dillon 650. I think my buddy and our other friend have 2 550s and a 650 now. Another tip I can give you is make sure you have room to expand.

445dba9046768c2f742f913358129467.jpg80a5f1e619bfbcc0ded2e0d023076c78.jpg25613bc1fb5cc9c9742819faba476464.jpgffa440f48825d477918cc91b8e13a49e.jpg

That's just casting equipment, brass storage, dies/conversion kits, and miscellaneous other stuff. Haven't assembled my 65# melting pot yet and my 650 isn't pictured, nor is the lube and sizer. Also missing is all the ingots and literal ton of wheel weights. Addictions...[emoji12]

Been noticing on all the tire jobs I've been doing lately, all the wheel weights are now steel .. or whatever metal they are - they stick to a magnet, and are alot larger for a given weight. I haven't pulled an actual lead weight off a wheel in a long time now.

Seems like it's all part of the plan to disarm us one way or the other ... :mad:

Been noticing on all the tire jobs I've been doing lately, all the wheel weights are now steel .. or whatever metal they are - they stick to a magnet, and are alot larger for a given weight. I haven't pulled an actual lead weight off a wheel in a long time now.

Seems like it's all part of the plan to disarm us one way or the other ... :mad:

I haven't messed with them much lately other than to pick them up from my source. When I do I have noticed a lot more Iron and Zinc weights. I've read you can do Zinc bullets, just need to do some things a little different. With my new melter I should be able to melt zinc if I want, so I may end up trying to use zince one day too.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

A lot of the reason I'm looking at getting started is accuracy. I realize I probably won't save much if any money, although with Hornady ammo above $1 per shot it might actually pay off. Getting consistent ammo is the #1 priority in the rifles. For 9mm, I couldn't care less, as long as it goes bang. I'd most likely be throwing Hornady rifle bullets, I'm a big fan of the V-max. It looks like the Lock n Load system is worth the price of admission, being able to change calibers quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One thing about single stage is it can be cheap to get started and a way to find out if you really are a reloading enthusiast. I see single stage equipment at garage sales from time to time at very cheap prices. Often these guys found it was more work and time than they wished to invest. Or they have upgraded to multi-turret press

It also depends on the reloading you do...I have no need to load a hundred rounds at a time, so a progressive would be a little bit overkill for my use...

Don't get me wrong, I have a Dillon collecting dust from the days I played with a 45 and burnt a couple hundred rounds every Saturday, but those days have passed and it sits. The last 45acp I loaded was single stage with carbide dies while relaxing with my father....one cartridge at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A lot of the reason I'm looking at getting started is accuracy. I realize I probably won't save much if any money, although with Hornady ammo above $1 per shot it might actually pay off. Getting consistent ammo is the #1 priority in the rifles. For 9mm, I couldn't care less, as long as it goes bang. I'd most likely be throwing Hornady rifle bullets, I'm a big fan of the V-max. It looks like the Lock n Load system is worth the price of admission, being able to change calibers quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, caliber changes are super simple and relatively quick. Another great feature, although I've stuck with .45 ACP since I've had it. I've got plenty of 9mm brass and bullets laying around to whip up a bunch of those.

These days I don't seem to have any free time anymore. Fixing my own, and everyone else's junk takes up all of my time. :happysad:

Archived