2015 2500HD - Brake Rattle?

Have any of you guys had the caliper or pads rattle with certain frequency tire rumble? I have Duratracs on my truck so the rumble a little and resonant frequency seems to be around 31-33mph. At that speed I just noticed a rattle coming from under the front driver side (at least it seems that is the case).

Anybody had something similar? I was under there changing the diff fluid front and back today and didn't notice anything out of line. Underbelly guards were tight which was my first thought. When I bumped my fist against the moving part of the caliper on drivers side it made a sort of metal rattle sound. Passenger side did not. Greasing up the travelers on the caliper maybe?

Open to ideas. My damn jack crapped out so I haven't been able to take the wheel off and look further into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dab5577,

We can imagine how frustration this brake rattle sound must be. Have you had the opportunity to address this concern with your dealer? If not, we’d be happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf to facilitate this process. If this is something you would be interested in, please provide us with your full contact information, current mileage and preferred dealership. https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html Thank you for being a valued customer!

Kindest regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if you had this issue resolved?? I believe my truck has just started to do the same thing. I also run Duratracs and at approx 53km/hr(which is right around your 31-33 mph) i can also hear a rattle but from the front passenger side.  I took it to the dealer and they are trying to tell me that there is a little rust on the outer edge of the rotor that must be causing the pads to rattle. They suggested i replace my brakes(70% till left) @ $702. Nope don't think so.

Funny, at exactly 53kph with Durotracs, i have a minor noise as well. But mine is more of a low pitch howling noise than a rattle. I had everything checked and no issues. I notice with a brand new set that they are a little quiter. 

So I think I solved the rattle problem!!

i pulled my wheel off tonight(front passenger side) and I found a very small rock(like maybe 3mm wide) wedged between the disk brake dustshield and the a-arm(not between the shield and the rotor like I was expecting). It was on the underside and easy to miss but I suppose it could be anywhere depending on the vehicle. 

Sure enough I went for a good drive and can’t duplicate that sound anymore!!!

Such a tiny little thing can piss a guy off so much!

• Like 1