Backup Camera Monitor too bright at night

Just a thought - do you guys have NAV? If so there is a setting in the NAV menu to set daytime to "Auto". When you do this it adjusts the NAV screen according to the ambient light. I don't know why this would be related to the overall monitor brightness but it might be worth a try.

Just a thought - do you guys have NAV? If so there is a setting in the NAV menu to set daytime to "Auto". When you do this it adjusts the NAV screen according to the ambient light. I don't know why this would be related to the overall monitor brightness but it might be worth a try.

No nav, but you're hitting on exactly what the issue is. The screen brightness does adapt to ambient lighting in the sense that the screen dims when the headlights come on (easier to see if the cabin is dim at night). The issue is that even when the computer has all of the displays dimmed in low-light conditions, it will still jack screen brightness back up to maximum when you throw it in reverse. Once you drop out of reverse, screen brightness returns to normal.

Screen brightness is flipped to its maximum under all conditions - day or night, manually dimmed or un-dimmed, headlights on or off.

Edited by jono20

No nav, but you're hitting on exactly what the issue is. The screen brightness does adapt to ambient lighting in the sense that the screen dims when the headlights come on (easier to see if the cabin is dim at night). The issue is that even when the computer has all of the displays dimmed in low-light conditions, it will still jack screen brightness back up to maximum when you throw it in reverse. Once you drop out of reverse, screen brightness returns to normal.

Screen brightness is flipped to its maximum under all conditions - day or night, manually dimmed or un-dimmed, headlights on or off.

Weird - not sure why it does that. My 2015 stays dimmed ...

• Like 1

Weird - not sure why it does that. My 2015 stays dimmed ...

So did my 2014, and as far as I can tell so do all 2016s. The problem affects all 2017 trucks.

Guys, I can relate as mine (2017 Silv 2500HD DA) does the same thing (as expected). I had the truck in for service and talked to my advisor about it. he had never heard of it but he did talk to the GM TAC and they told him that they were aware of the issue and were working on a fix to be applied during an upcoming software update... so stay tuned I guess?

Guys, I can relate as mine (2017 Silv 2500HD DA) does the same thing (as expected). I had the truck in for service and talked to my advisor about it. he had never heard of it but he did talk to the GM TAC and they told him that they were aware of the issue and were working on a fix to be applied during an upcoming software update... so stay tuned I guess?

Awesome! Glad to hear they're at least acknowledging it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mine dial turns the backup camera down...........it's just a pain the next morning coming outta the garage when it's still turned down (granted nothing is ever behind me in the country and no kids leaving stuff). If I had one complaint tied to this its the sensitivity of the automatic lights when it gets to bright or dark outside. My 99 was a lot better than my 2015 on auto adjusting. It's almost to sensitive now.

Mine dial turns the backup camera down...........it's just a pain the next morning coming outta the garage when it's still turned down (granted nothing is ever behind me in the country and no kids leaving stuff). If I had one complaint tied to this its the sensitivity of the automatic lights when it gets to bright or dark outside. My 99 was a lot better than my 2015 on auto adjusting. It's almost to sensitive now.

The dial does nothing on the 17s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have this completed yet? Does it resolve the issue? I am tired of being blinded by the light. lol

OK, had the update applied today and got the chance test it out tonight...

It does reduce the brightness of the screen when put in reverse and allows you to see and use your mirrors. GM still didn't provide any way to adjust the brightness, that's a shame since they had an opportunity to fix several issues at once. I now find the display a little too dim but way better and more usable than it was before, so one size fits all with this fix.

If you have the tow mirrors with the rear facing LED lights, they work very well lighting up the area to the sides of the truck in the camera. The area directly behind the middle of the truck is still a little dim, going to mount an LED flood under the bumper to take care of that area as well

• Like 2