Backup Camera Monitor too bright at night

I am noticing that when backing into a darker area at night, my side mirrors are hard to see with the backup display on. It is a little too bright and I would like to see my mirrors better. Is there a way to turn down the backup monitor screen at night? Or to even turn the monitor OFF, when I don't need it?

I'm with you on the overly bright backup display at night. I found that the rheostat for dimming the dash lights also dims the backup display on my 2016. Just remember to re-adjust the brightness after you back up so you don't freak out and think the dash light fuse is blown !

Are you talking about the wheel (switch) that adjusts the dash light brightness? Mine won't even turn the dash lights all the way off. New truck....maybe I need to have the service dept look at this.

You can turn the screen off but I don't know if you can do it once the reverse camera comes on.

On my 2015 it's under "Settings", then "Vehicle Settings", then "Display", then "Turn Display Off". When you want it to come back on you just touch anywhere on the screen.

Thanks for the information guys. The adjustment does not work on my back up camera monitor. Once I put it into reverse the camera is on and the monitor just stays nice and bright. I could read a book at night with this brightness. I am going to work on a fix for this.

• 3 months later...

I just bought a 2017 Thursday and backed out of a parking spot last night and got blinded by the screen. Went through settings and turned down the dash light brightness but couldn't get the camera to dim. On my 2014 it dimmed with the dash lights. Weird that they'd change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copying my post from the other thread:

It's most definitely NOT a safety 'feature' - it's a software glitch.

All 17's do this as far as I can see. Please report it directly to GM as a safety issue, I already have and am working with one of their reps. If they get enough feedback they'll have it reprogrammed. I talked to my dealer about it and there is nothing they can do beyond all agreeing "wow ya that's weird, we've never seen that! Interesting!" (useless).

You can see the system cranking screen brightness up to maximuim in the split second before it displays the backup image. Here's the video I sent to GM: https://goo.gl/photos/zTRMBqb3LNvuDSvc7

It's really, really annoying. I went from a '14 up to my '17 and this new programming makes the camera damn near unusable at night. It also makes it very difficult to see out your passenger side mirror because of the glare which is a safety issue.

Contact customer care! Don't let them pass this off as a 'feature' so they can save themselves a few bucks worth of programming time.

Canada: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview

US: https://www.gmc.com/help/contact-us/form.html