What Type of Locks Are Recommend

A combo lock saves multiple crews from having keys to lose...in some applications a combo lock makes more sense than a key, it's not perfect by any means but prevents lockouts when the guy with the keys doesn't show up or keys get lost.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

7023537-254x300.png

I use one of these but I also have one that goes in the tongue and locks over where the ball goes. Unfortunately, not keyed to the truck.

Another option is to have a spare ball with the shaft cut off, stick the ball in and then lock the coupler.

Here is the lock I use on 3 of my trailers. Had them over 10 years and no one has yet messed with them. 179.00 each from www.equipmentlock.com. You can get them all keyed the same if you want more than one.

post-90559-0-48226100-1496238233_thumb.jpg

I have been using this lock for a number of years and it is a good one for the tongue of the trailerfc8c21ed1d13fad782f8e1e2d578ea2b.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I have one of those, but they won't work on all couplers unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here is the lock I use on 3 of my trailers. Had them over 10 years and no one has yet messed with them. 179.00 each from www.equipmentlock.com. You can get them all keyed the same if you want more than one.

never seen somethin like that before, pretty cool

• 1 month later...

This makes the most sense of all the options mentioned! Sometimes thieves will do a lot of damage in their attempt to steal. A good heavy duty and highly visible wheel lock like this is most effective, imo!

I bought a $30 Masterlock hitch lock and had it on for the winter. Went to take it off in the spring and the key snapped off inside!!! Damn salt seized it up and it wouldn't budge. Took three blades to finally get through it and get it off. To my surprise, they took it back with no questions asked. I havent found a new one yet that I'm sure will hold up. The one I had even had the rubber cap bit it would always pop off. Looking back I should have wrapped a few turns of electrical tape on the end to hold it. Lesson learned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a $30 Masterlock hitch lock and had it on for the winter. Went to take it off in the spring and the key snapped off inside!!! Damn salt seized it up and it wouldn't budge. Took three blades to finally get through it and get it off. To my surprise, they took it back with no questions asked. I havent found a new one yet that I'm sure will hold up. The one I had even had the rubber cap bit it would always pop off. Looking back I should have wrapped a few turns of electrical tape on the end to hold it. Lesson learned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Masterlock hitch deals are stainless steel and have rubber caps...they must make different grades. Finding one for a 2.5" receiver was a challenge!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived