Alignment issues

I don't think just crawling over a curb did anything. When I had my '14 I actually had to maneuver to avoid someone in a turning lane. I had to swerve right and the right front hit the curb. Luckily I had factory 18s so I had enough tire sidewall to only scuff the tire and not the rim. It never changed the alignment. I didn't smash into the curb, but I hit it probably going 30 with the quick turn of the wheel so wasn't a small rub like you just rolled over a curb. Also since I park on the street anytime it snows I actually park in the front yard since I don't trust other people which means I have to drive all 4 tires over the curb and again no problem. So I wonder if one of the bolts for the UCA arms might have gotten loose or something.

• Like 1

Two more questions for you guys.

1. Say the cam plates did move, obviously caster and camber are directly affected, but would that also change toe? The tie rods looked fine visually, and the tech said he had no problems turning them which he said would indicate their straight.

2. I'm leaning towards replacing the cams with the dirt king units when I reinstall my coilovers. Should I go ahead and replace the control arm bushings while I'm in there? They have been on for ~6000 miles

de4e3130d594c1a9ae49fccbb56c0eb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bushleaguechew
  • Like 1

Two more questions for you guys.

1. Say the cam plates did move, obviously caster and camber are directly affected, but would that also change toe? The tie rods looked fine visually, and the tech said he had no problems turning them which he said would indicate their straight.

2. I'm leaning towards replacing the cams with the dirt king units when I reinstall my coilovers. Should I go ahead and replace the control arm bushings while I'm in there? They have been on for ~6000 miles

de4e3130d594c1a9ae49fccbb56c0eb4.jpg

It wouldn't hurt. I'd rather fix/replace everything I could if you are already working on it.

Heimed uppers are great for someone who wheels the heck out of their truck....not necessary or worth the extra maintenance for a street rig also most alignment shops have no clue how to dial in heims.

~6000 on your bushings isn't worth changing out pending they have been lubed properly they'll last far longer. My bet is still they were not tightened properly after alignment and you shouldn't have any further issues.

I have cognito UCAs and currently have stock shocks with a 2.5 inch spacer as my fox coilovers are being serviced. Everything seems nice and tight.

Who did your work for all this?

Heimed uppers are great for someone who wheels the heck out of their truck....not necessary or worth the extra maintenance for a street rig also most alignment shops have no clue how to dial in heims.

~6000 on your bushings isn't worth changing out pending they have been lubed properly they'll last far longer. My bet is still they were not tightened properly after alignment and you shouldn't have any further issues.

If a mechanic doesnt know how to align heim then wtf is he doing there? No high schoolers working on my rig im making sure of that

auvcqs.jpg

If a mechanic doesnt know how to align heim then wtf is he doing there? No high schoolers working on my rig im making sure of that

auvcqs.jpg

You must be on the west coast... Land of tube chassis buggy's and all that good stuff. On the east coast and I'll also assume the mid-west we have very few specialized alignment shops and the trade is nearly extinct.

Good luck finding someone who actually knows/understands what's going on besides what the machine tells them to do. Was a nightmare finding someone willing to touch my LT Tacoma in VA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by AaronArf

You must be on the west coast... Land of tube chassis buggy's and all that good stuff. On the east coast and I'll also assume the mid-west we have very few specialized alignment shops and the trade is nearly extinct.

Good luck finding someone who actually knows/understands what's going on besides what the machine tells them to do. Was a nightmare finding someone willing to touch my LT Tacoma in VA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I find that problem in the north east. Can't even find a reputable shop for any real lifted truck work. Had an awesome mechanic in CT but he's now 3 hours away from my new location.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is they were not properly torqued after alignment. Get it aligned then "torque" stripe it so you can monitor the plates.

This is a common problem in the off-road world even with torqued to spec alignment cams. So much so they make a fix for it!

http://shop.dirtkingfabrication.com/Upper-Arm-Alignment-Cams-DK-632919.htm

So I purchased a kit from moog that has these plates. It only came with 2 plates so I'll have to order more. Do I need to replace all 8 plates? Or can I get away with replacing the 4 outside plates? I've never worked on my suspension before and I plan on doing the coilover install this coming weekend

So I purchased a kit from moog that has these plates. It only came with 2 plates so I'll have to order more. Do I need to replace all 8 plates? Or can I get away with replacing the 4 outside plates? I've never worked on my suspension before and I plan on doing the coilover install this coming weekend

Hmmm...is the Moog kit designed for the whole front end or is a one kit / side.