clean the engine and bay

So I've had my 2017 LT Midnight for 3 months now. I've been keeping the interior and exterior very clean.

I was under the hood last night and noticed the engine and bay is getting a bit dirty. How do you folks clean your engines?

Is it safe to use a hose, avoiding what appear to be sensitive electronics? Or should I use a more gentile (wet cloth) approach?

Not sure about that rig/year, but I know that 5.3's have TSBs about water on the knock sensors. The sensors are under the intake, and if they get wet it causes them to have major problems. Its an expensive repair if you do it by the book. Every part of my rig has been detailed many times, except the motor. If you want to clean yours without the risk of water, you could use compressed air, ArmorAll wipes, soft long bristle brushes, etc.

Make sure the engine is cool. I spray down the whole engine bay with simple green, let it soak in for 5 minutes or so. I then take the hose and put it on the shower setting and spray off everything, staying away from the alternator. I then take my air compressor and blow out/off all standing water, blow out all electronics, make sure to get any water out of the intake valley area, etc. Then I start the truck and let it run for a couple minutes to clean the belts off and burn off any residual moisture.

My go to engine bay detailer is Stoner's Trim Shine.

Cool engine, spray with cleaner of your choice. I dilute the cleaner, don't need full strength because it not filthy, rinse with hose on shower setting. Spray with detailer when needed.

:happysad:

Been doing my truck twice a year for almost 4 years with no issues. If you think about it, going through a deep puddle or in a car wash with under carriage sprays, water gets on your engine one way or another.

Not sure about that rig/year, but I know that 5.3's have TSBs about water on the knock sensors. The sensors are under the intake, and if they get wet it causes them to have major problems. Its an expensive repair if you do it by the book. Every part of my rig has been detailed many times, except the motor. If you want to clean yours without the risk of water, you could use compressed air, ArmorAll wipes, soft long bristle brushes, etc.

On my 2008 Tacoma, I used to spray with simple green like mentioned above, then hose it down, but there is a lot more electrical stuff under the hood of the 5.3 Silverado. I'll definitely go easy with the hose. This is my first full size. Looks like I'm gonna need a step ladder to access it! LOL!

Archived