Front Diff Help!

Recently switched my gears from 3.08 to 3.73. Rear end went very well as I had a buddy of mine who is GM master mechanic. Bought a used front diff thinking it would be easier than rebuilding....I was very wrong. The one I got went to shit after 500 miles. So now I have rebuilt it but need help with the proper procedure for setting backlash and side bearing preload. I was planning on having my buddy help but he had something come up and is unavailable. I need to get it back in my truck this weekend.

I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3L with 8.25 IFS.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, Planefixerguy said:

Recently switched my gears from 3.08 to 3.73. Rear end went very well as I had a buddy of mine who is GM master mechanic. Bought a used front diff thinking it would be easier than rebuilding....I was very wrong. The one I got went to shit after 500 miles. So now I have rebuilt it but need help with the proper procedure for setting backlash and side bearing preload. I was planning on having my buddy help but he had something come up and is unavailable. I need to get it back in my truck this weekend.

I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3L with 8.25 IFS.

there is plenty of documentation and video online on how to do it, it doesn't look hard as long as you have a bearing press, just time consuming, which is why I haven't swapped my rear gears out. that being said, did you have any abs issues from changing the ring and pinion gears out? I'm wanting to do the same as you did but was worried it is going to throw off the abs and cause major issues. my truck is 2wd so I don't have to worry about the front

16 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

there is plenty of documentation and video online on how to do it, it doesn't look hard as long as you have a bearing press, just time consuming, which is why I haven't swapped my rear gears out. that being said, did you have any abs issues from changing the ring and pinion gears out? I'm wanting to do the same as you did but was worried it is going to throw off the abs and cause major issues. my truck is 2wd so I don't have to worry about the front

No I did not have any issues with my ABS. It did throw off my spedo by about 10 MPH though. Still saving up for the programmer to fix that issue. I have been very happy with the swap so far. Going from a 3.08 to a 3.73 is a very noticeable change, especially when towing my camper.

8 hours ago, Planefixerguy said:

No I did not have any issues with my ABS. It did throw off my spedo by about 10 MPH though. Still saving up for the programmer to fix that issue. I have been very happy with the swap so far. Going from a 3.08 to a 3.73 is a very noticeable change, especially when towing my camper.

That's good to know as that was my biggest fear, that id have it done and have to pay to have the abs corrected. I have a tuner already so I would be ok on the speedo issue. I'm sure that it made a ton of difference pulling, as gutless as mine is unloaded I wouldn't consider pulling more than about 1000 lbs with it. My 07 that was lifted 12" had more guts on 35s with the 4.8L and 3.42 than this one has. running a 91 octane tune on e85 helps a ton but youre not supposed to pull with that tune :rolleyes:.

Archived