After market remote start

I just got my 2014 Silverado this summer. I just learned as it's getting colder I'm not too impressed with the features of the remote start. 

I'm not happy with the range, or being able to see the parking light confirmation at times. 

I'd be happy to get a honk confirmation if anyone has ever heard about this. 

I am also looking into just replacing it with an aftermarket system. I'm not technical enough to do this myself, so I'm looking into what my local shops have to offer. 

One, which I believe is a bolt on for my current system, is Drone remote start. 

It has 2 way remotes, and has an app for your phone. You pay about  $5 a month for the phone app, as it needs it's own wireless signal. The price for the system is reasonable. 

Anyone know if i can suspend this $5 for the months I don't need it? Or have any other helpful suggestions for me? 

Thanks. 

You should get several years (I think 3) of free use of the app that onstar/ GM privides Seach your app store for MyChevrolet. The app includes remote start functions and will tell you whether it was successful and you don't even need to be within range of your key fob since its done through onstar.

use that free term up before you worry about paying for anything aftermarket.

Side note: we installed a drone system on my wife's old car which did not come with remote start. and no, they will not let you pay for only the winter months. we tried that. Think of it as a set price for the app that you just pay monthly installments on.

I agree with the masses. Go with the app. I've had previous experience with aftermarket remote starts and alarm systems with mixed results. Seems like I had an issue with all three systems at some point in their lives. Never had an issue with the app.

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

You should get several years (I think 3) of free use of the app that onstar/ GM privides Seach your app store for MyChevrolet. The app includes remote start functions and will tell you whether it was successful and you don't even need to be within range of your key fob since its done through onstar.

use that free term up before you worry about paying for anything aftermarket.

Side note: we installed a drone system on my wife's old car which did not come with remote start. and no, they will not let you pay for only the winter months. we tried that. Think of it as a set price for the app that you just pay monthly installments on.

I called Onstar about the app. My truck is a 14, on the original bill of sale it said 5 years access to the app. I was hoping it was transferable. Onstar told me my truck would only have 3 years from the original purchase date. I don't really have much other use for Onstar so I don't want to pay $20-30 a month. 

5 minutes ago, Jwbrkr21 said:

I called Onstar about the app. My truck is a 14, on the original bill of sale it said 5 years access to the app. I was hoping it was transferable. Onstar told me my truck would only have 3 years from the original purchase date. I don't really have much other use for Onstar so I don't want to pay $20-30 a month. 

Yes, what they told you is correct. For the original buyer of a 2014, I think they only got 3 years. But you bought it used, I'm pretty sure they offer a free term to you as well to try to get you hooked. Did you buy it private party or from a dealer? If you got it from a GM dealer, they should help you set it up. If you bought privately, who knows. I'd call onstar back and tell them you want the free trial of "basic package" for a used vehicle.

I bought it from a dealer, but it wasn't a GM dealer. They are good size dealer so maybe they got some hookups. 

I'll try calling Onstar and see what they say about a trial. 

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here but has anyone installed the factory remote start after the fact of buying your truck? I have a crappy after market remote start system in my truck. Have to push the damn lock button 5 times to remote start it. Would like to get the factory remote start with the app to work. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here but has anyone installed the factory remote start after the fact of buying your truck? I have a crappy after market remote start system in my truck. Have to push the damn lock button 5 times to remote start it. Would like to get the factory remote start with the app to work. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Ya it workse328c59220b65cfd20a3af299aaabab2.jpg

At the bottom

Not a problem. You also get two new key fobs if I'm not mistaken, for no additional charge.

That’s awesome. Might be the next big mod that gets done. I’ll keep you updated for sure buddy!

Archived