2017 5.3L/8 speed lugging at throttle tip in

Is it true that the TCM is locked and you have to remove/mail in to have tuned?  Looking at tune options so I know what I would be getting into.  I have very little tuning experience. I’ve only ever dabbled in old ford obd 1 eec-iv....

Edited by SGS_Z71
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SGS_Z71 said:

Is it true that the TCM is locked and you have to remove/mail in to have tuned?  Looking at tune options so I know what I would be getting into.  I have very little tuning experience. I’ve only ever dabbled in old ford obd 1 eec-iv....

Nope. All you need to do is plug your tuner into the OBDII port and choose your tune. If you go with a pro email tune you will need to do some data logging and email that to the tuner. 

Edited by adamj2121

25 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

Nope. All you need to do is plug your tuner into the OBDII port and choose your tune. If you go with a pro email tune you will need to do some data logging and email that to the tuner. 

Thank you!  We shall see.  I’m try to get over my bitterness and not trade the truck off.  I love everything about the truck, so I’m sure a tune would probably make me get over that pretty quick. 

5 hours ago, SGS_Z71 said:

Thank you!  We shall see.  I’m try to get over my bitterness and not trade the truck off.  I love everything about the truck, so I’m sure a tune would probably make me get over that pretty quick. 

I'm right there with you. I have an appointment to get my truck checked out for shifting issues (2016 5.3 6spd). I want to confirm it is a tuning issue and not actually something physical.  If the issues cannot be solved I will definitely be tuning. I'm looking at Black Bear for my tuning needs.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:35 PM, SGS_Z71 said:

Unfortunately yes if you want full tune ability.  As of right now you/I have three options for the T87A trans.  Send out to HPTuners for their unlock service, Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester offers TCM tuning (not sure of details) & lastly, Trifecta offers a tune with TCM recalibrations without unlocking.  Blackbear does not offer TCM tuning and sounds like they never will for the T87A.  I have been researching tuning options as well and this is not what I was hoping for.  The trifecta tune has been well received over on the Colorado/Canyon forum so this may be the route I go.  Downside is it's a "canned" tune, so you will not be able to tune GM torque managment parameters and this was something I was looking to do.

Update:

The service manager called me and they are performing the double trans/cooler flush tsb.  They are going to have it another 5 days roughly.  

Keeping fingers crossed!

I have a 1,000+ mile drive to/from Tennessee - Michigan coming up, will be a great test drive for it.  Per the 16-NA-175 procedure, I have to drive for 200 miles to feel full effect.  By that time that is over I will be into the hills of southern Ohio/northern Kentucky.  Lots of hills to test it (that’s where I felt it worst, cruise control accelerations without downshifts).

Edited by SGS_Z71

Update from my brother's '17 Sierra 8 speed.

Gasoline was not the cause, once the temperature dropped again the issues came back as bad as before.  So, last week he took the service manager with laptop along for another ride and they determined trans is fine, TCM parameters are normal.  They started looking at fuel system and laptop showed truck running super rich and "loading" up.  Never has the truck thrown a code and not one CEL during all his issues.  Manager made quick adjustment and as he suspected the chuggle, hesistation was magnified and truck almost shutoff.  With the data in hand, the service manager sent brother and truck home to wait for him to contact GM to decide what to do next.  Monday, dealer says bring truck in we are going to change injectors and see how it goes.  In the meantime, we check oil and it is 1 to 1 1/2 quarts high with gas in it!  He dropped truck off Tuesday and just got word this afternoon it is ready for pickup.  Result??...dealer is unable to fix the truck!  Replaced HPFP for gas in oil issue, all injectors were tested and OK.  No fix for bucking, GM knows about the issue but have not issued a fix.  Dealer drove another '17 5.3l & '18 5.3l both are doing exact same thing.  Dealer also drove two 6.2l trucks and they have it to a lesser degree.  Dealer states if there ever will be a fix it could be more than a year out.  GM needs to validate with EPA etc.  Dealer has submitted paperwork for a component extended warranty on the motor for his truck because of this and his troubles over the last 3-4 months.

As I and many others with knowledge of situation have said, this is all in GM's sub-par tunes for the 0.10 MPG gains.  Got to love CAFE!!

5 hours ago, BamCam said:

As I and many others with knowledge of situation have said, this is all in GM's sub-par tunes for the 0.10 MPG gains.  Got to love CAFE!!

Wow, his situation sounds way worse.  Unbelievable.  I’d look into lemon lawing that one.

Got my truck back today.  I think I still felt it, but traffic was really heavy, so not a lot of constant driving.  They said I need to go through a couple heat cycles and 200 miles before I say whether it’s fixed or not.  So fingers crossed, hope it improves.

7 hours ago, BamCam said:

Gasoline was not the cause, once the temperature dropped again the issues came back as bad as before.  So, last week he took the service manager with laptop along for another ride and they determined trans is fine, TCM parameters are normal.  They started looking at fuel system and laptop showed truck running super rich and "loading" up.  Never has the truck thrown a code and not one CEL during all his issues.  Manager made quick adjustment and as he suspected the chuggle, hesistation was magnified and truck almost shutoff.  With the data in hand, the service manager sent brother and truck home to wait for him to contact GM to decide what to do next.  Monday, dealer says bring truck in we are going to change injectors and see how it goes.  In the meantime, we check oil and it is 1 to 1 1/2 quarts high with gas in it!  He dropped truck off Tuesday and just got word this afternoon it is ready for pickup.  Result??...dealer is unable to fix the truck!  Replaced HPFP for gas in oil issue, all injectors were tested and OK.  No fix for bucking, GM knows about the issue but have not issued a fix.  Dealer drove another '17 5.3l & '18 5.3l both are doing exact same thing.  Dealer also drove two 6.2l trucks and they have it to a lesser degree.  Dealer states if there ever will be a fix it could be more than a year out.  GM needs to validate with EPA etc.  Dealer has submitted paperwork for a component extended warranty on the motor for his truck because of this and his troubles over the last 3-4 months.

I also notice the colder the ambient temperature the worse mine is as well.  Through this whole mess I kept telling the service manager that everything I have ever learned or worked on tells me this is an engine misfire.  But with no CEL it is hard to argue.  I was a ASE cert master tech for many years so I hope to have learned something in my years, but I’ve been out of the game for approximately 12 yrs so things may have changed.  Hearing your experience convinces me more than ever that GM has their fuel mapping all jacked up for cold ambients at light and medium loads and they aren’t putting in the effort to correct it.

It is hard to believe this was not uncovered in development and testing........oh wait all development can be done on a computer now with no real world testing ?‍♂️.  That or they have people testing that have no ability to detect drivability issues.  Keep us updated on any progress you make.

So is this a 2017 problem or a 8 speed trans problem. Also if it is a tune issue because of mpg, why is it messing up in cold weather.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk