(New Here) Seat Haptic Feedback Weirdness

Hello, so far the dealer doesn't know what going on. On my 2016 Sierra 2500 HD my parking assist seems to be activing up. It will allow me to pull up on an object (car, tree, pole, whatever) and NOT activate my haptic feedback UNTIL the warning bars go from yellow to red. Pretty much inches away from the object. The distinction here is that the sensors seem to be working as does the haptic motors, they just don't activate until the bars on my dash turn red. What is even more weird is that this seems to only affect the sensors in the middle of the front bumper, for instance pulling up directly behind something. The left and right outer sensors activate my haptic feedback as normal, pretty much as soon as the first yellow bar appears. The back bumper sensors seem to working fine also.  Any thoughts on why my haptic feedback would wait until the bars have turned red rather than activating as soon as the first yellow bars appear?

If you haven't, maybe try adjusting the distance on the sensors? If my memory is correct, there are three different distance selections as to where the sensors first recognize an object. This may correct or "reset" your sensors...

Thanks. I know there is a setting for the "Forward Collision" distance but I cannot find a setting for Park Assist. The settings I did find only turns it from Haptic to beeps to off. 

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly on how this thing is supposed to work. Can someone verify...? With your Park assist on and traveling under 5 mph, if you were to ease straight up onto a wall or another bumper, does your car give you immediate feedback (tones or haptic) as soon as the amber lights glow, or does the feedback only happen when your display hits red? I'm specifically interested in only the front center sensor not the sensors left and right of the bumper. I appreciate any help and / or validation that anyone can offer. Thanks. 

I stand corrected...I was only going off memory as I remembered three distance settings...must have been the Forward Alert and not the Park Assist...

My seat vibration (and / or audible warning - whatever is selected) only does come on once the yellow line indicators progress to red. There is no seat vibration / audible warning when only yellow lines are indicated. But, mine turns red at about 2 feet as opposed to "inches" from the front and rear bumpers...

I do recall something about these distances in the manual...when they should start indicating and roughly what distance each line means... 

1 hour ago, EJCarter said:

I stand corrected...I was only going off memory as I remembered three distance settings...must have been the Forward Alert and not the Park Assist...

My seat vibration (and / or audible warning - whatever is selected) only does come on once the yellow line indicators progress to red. There is no seat vibration / audible warning when only yellow lines are indicated. But, mine turns red at about 2 feet as opposed to "inches" from the front and rear bumpers...

I do recall something about these distances in the manual...when they should start indicating and roughly what distance each line means... 

Thank you for that! Perhaps I was remembering this whole thing wrong. If that is indeed that way it operates, meaning we only get a warning once the indicator turns red, then mine would be working correctly. Can I trouble you with one more question? Was only the front most sensors being activated? Your onscreen display is divided into three sections, left bumper, right bumper and center. Can you verify that only the center portion was active when doing your test?  Thanks! 

From what I recall, I believe the side sensors work the same as the fronts...I'm at work with the wife's vehicle and won't return home until tomorrow. I'll check it out then and update this thread...

Yep...the real story...occasionally, the wife needs the truck so I'll take her car to work...and now she calls it "her truck." I don't think so!!! But, I do wear the pants in this family...as soon as I pull them out the dryer and fold her's first...LOL...

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Update when convenient. It seemed to me that the side sensors actually gave the warning beep/feedback as soon as the first amber light lit up. It does it on the back bumper, that way, at least on my truck it does. That's why I wanted to be specifically sure it was just your front facing sensors that were bring activated. If those middle sensors don't give you any feedback until it hits red then maybe I'm okay after all!

Oh and I understand about the wife. At first mine was pretty nervous about trying to drive my "big truck" , she didn't want to do it. I said, "C'mon it'll be fine, I'll teach you". I should've left well enough alone. Now it's, hey can I take your truck? Dang what did I do. She looks pretty cute in it, though. She all of 5' 1" and 103 lbs so it's funny to see her climbing and and out of that thing

Nthdegreee: Just wanted to get back after checking the sensors on my truck...my warning (audible or seat vibration) is activated when the first yellow line lights up. This is the same on the front middle sensors, front sides, and / or rear sensors. I thought it was only when the red line lit up, but after checking, it is when the yellow's light up...

Redwngr: you are correct regarding the wife...she has been pushing for a Yukon for awhile now...LOL...

Thanks for checking! What you described is what I was expecting, unfortunately it appears something is wrong. I get no vibration on my front sensors until I hit the red line. In gonna go to the dealership and prove this to them in one of their new trucks so that they'll believe me. I really appreciate your assistance.  

Archived