Polaris Just Acquired The Most Bad-Ass Off-Road Location In America - Check Out the Video

Gorehamj

polaris screen shot at glamis.png

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-22-2018

The Cape Cod National Sea Shore has some amazing dunes. You can't drive an off-road vehicle on them, you can't ride a mountain bike on them, and you can't walk on the dunes, but boy are they something.  As the noose tightens on outdoor motorsports a handful of the world's best locations remain accessible, many because they are held in private ownership. One of these special places is the Glamis Dunes in California also known as the Imperial Sand Dunes in California located East of San Diego and West of Phoenix. You may not think you have seen this area but you have if you've ever watched movies like Star Wars or the Scorpion King.

Polaris has just acquired 166 acres in this special place. The company has purchased the Glamis Store from the LeBlanc family. The property has been the host to Camp RZR for the past six years and the Polaris relationship goes back much farther than that. The October event is called by Polaris, " The kick off to the dunes riding season, and a celebration of the riding culture and comradery that is created among riders." About 20,000 riders attended last year.  Yes, 20,000.  Polaris taking ownership means that the event will not just continue in the future, but it will be expanded. 

“For the rider and dunes community, the iconic Glamis Beach Store represents the epicenter of the dunes, so when we were looking for a location to hold our first Camp RZR we only had one place in mind,” said Craig Scanlon, chief retail and marketing officer, Polaris Off-Road Vehicles. “To the riders, community and many at Polaris, Glamis is an extraordinary place and our goal is to continue the unique aspects that make this area special and to help it thrive.”  Polaris has acquired the property from the Estate of the Beach Store founder, Eugene LeBlanc. “When my father first opened the doors of the Glamis Beach Store in 1979 his mission was to provide Glamis visitors a home base stocked with all the amenities they need while enjoying the dunes,” said Jeannie “Mama Jeannie” LeBlanc. “It only makes sense to partner with the leader in the off-road recreational community to carry on the traditions that he created.”

imperial dunes glamis ca.png

Looking for info on a trip to Glamis? Start here. Here's one more Glamis video you might like:

My whole life I've dreamt of going there. I used to read about that place in Dirtwheels Magazine in the day as a kid.

What kills me is, I was just a couple hours from the place from '99-'01, and never made it there. At the time, I couldn't afford an off-road machine, so I didn't want to torture myself. Some day I'll get there. Only been dreaming of it for nearly 4 decades ... :happysad:

Archived