New Sierra Revealed

Well, where to begin?

Being an engineer, I am always one to give my input and opinion.

I have been a long time loyal GM fan, as my Dad worked for GM here in KC over 31 years. Currently have a '14 sierra not without its fair share of quirks and issues.

This has been the case with every GM truck or SUV I have owned. Just about every manufacturer has their quirks and weak spots when it comes to engineering and quality.

The new T1 platform seems to be rather familiar to the current K2 trucks we drive today, other than body, grille, and a few technology changes.

The interior is basically the same.... Rancho shocks still come on the new AT4 and Trail Boss packages.  The Rancho shocks on my Sierra simply are throw away.

How can GM compare these "off road" trucks with a ford Raptor in particular? Why not include coil overs with reservoirs on the new T1? Then we can begin to

go head to head with a Raptor at least in terms of conversation. At least they have been reading these forums and included a mild lift kit from the factory. Rake is

still present. It Will be curious to see if the new upper arm design warrants a nicer ride than our K2s at least In the front.

GM does like to play it safe which is not always bad. Maybe that is what keeps us loyal GM fans coming back.

I gave up trying to get a set of OEM color matched door handles and mirror caps for my WDT All Terrain.   Sold the ones for my black All Terrain because I traded it but lets just say they were not easy to come by.  Agree with Crafferty nothing else is chrome but this one piece which looks out of place.  Otherwise I dig the AT4 alot.??

• 1 month later...
Sierra at 4. Is this at 4 am or pm? Or is this Sierra at some location named “four”? I’m confused.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.
AT4= all terrain 4wd lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 3/29/2018 at 9:13 AM, Sierra Dan said:

Well, where to begin?

Being an engineer, I am always one to give my input and opinion.

I have been a long time loyal GM fan, as my Dad worked for GM here in KC over 31 years. Currently have a '14 sierra not without its fair share of quirks and issues.

This has been the case with every GM truck or SUV I have owned. Just about every manufacturer has their quirks and weak spots when it comes to engineering and quality.

The new T1 platform seems to be rather familiar to the current K2 trucks we drive today, other than body, grille, and a few technology changes.

The interior is basically the same.... Rancho shocks still come on the new AT4 and Trail Boss packages.  The Rancho shocks on my Sierra simply are throw away.

How can GM compare these "off road" trucks with a ford Raptor in particular? Why not include coil overs with reservoirs on the new T1? Then we can begin to

go head to head with a Raptor at least in terms of conversation. At least they have been reading these forums and included a mild lift kit from the factory. Rake is

still present. It Will be curious to see if the new upper arm design warrants a nicer ride than our K2s at least In the front.

GM does like to play it safe which is not always bad. Maybe that is what keeps us loyal GM fans coming back.

Ah you are one of those guys... You must be an automotive engineer because of relevance?

Either way being an "engineer" how can you even correlate that the Rancho's on your old truck are going to ride or handle the same on an entirely new truck? Is it not possible for Rancho to re-design, re-work or entirely revamp the shock on how it rides, drive or handles? Couldn't GM have went with a different shock this go around from Rancho?

GM never once compared their truck to the Raptor...

Yeah because the upper arm is the key to the ride and handling!

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Ah you are one of those guys... You must be an automotive engineer because of relevance?

Either way being an "engineer" how can you even correlate that the Rancho's on your old truck are going to ride or handle the same on an entirely new truck? Is it not possible for Rancho to re-design, re-work or entirely revamp the shock on how it rides, drive or handles? Couldn't GM have went with a different shock this go around from Rancho?

GM never once compared their truck to the Raptor...

Yeah because the upper arm is the key to the ride and handling!

Tyler

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/at4/

GMC Aims for a Raptor-slayer with its AT4

By Ian Wright - March 29, 2018

Rancho suspension is the designated shock choice by GM again, for certain T1 models.
This is the same shock company with current K2's.
What would be wrong with installing an upgraded version from the factory that is Not similar to what we have now or in the past?
Many on these forums are adding leveling kits, lift kits and aftermarket suspension for either looks or to increase off road capability.
I never said anywhere that GM compared the new AT4 or TrailBoss to a Raptor. Other media outlets are making that claim, or questioning it.
Wouldn't it be cool or rewarding as a GM fan, to have a Factory Truck that can compete with a Raptor?
I am sure there are buyers out there who would buck up to acquire such a truck.
The upper A arm design first and foremost is new to decrease turning radius.
I am not an automotive engineer but I agree with this statement below, from the above linked article:
"Overall, the first AT4 vehicle from GMC looks like a swing and a miss for people that want or need genuine off-road ability from a truck. We may be beating on it, but we’re interested because good competition helps drive Ford to build us better trucks. However, GMC is going to have to raise their game dramatically to get anywhere near competitive."

3 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/at4/

GMC Aims for a Raptor-slayer with its AT4

By Ian Wright - March 29, 2018

Rancho suspension is the designated shock choice by GM again, for certain T1 models.
This is the same shock company with current K2's.
What would be wrong with installing an upgraded version from the factory that is Not similar to what we have now or in the past?
Many on these forums are adding leveling kits, lift kits and aftermarket suspension for either looks or to increase off road capability.
I never said anywhere that GM compared the new AT4 or TrailBoss to a Raptor. Other media outlets are making that claim, or questioning it.
Wouldn't it be cool or rewarding as a GM fan, to have a Factory Truck that can compete with a Raptor?
I am sure there are buyers out there who would buck up to acquire such a truck.
The upper A arm design first and foremost is new to decrease turning radius.
I am not an automotive engineer but I agree with this statement below, from the above linked article:
"Overall, the first AT4 vehicle from GMC looks like a swing and a miss for people that want or need genuine off-road ability from a truck. We may be beating on it, but we’re interested because good competition helps drive Ford to build us better trucks. However, GMC is going to have to raise their game dramatically to get anywhere near competitive."

The AT4 I'd not meant to and is not priced to compete with the Raptor.  It's a z71/FX4 with a 2" lift.  

Notice the Trailboss isn't available in LTZ trim?  There will be a higher end more featured model coming.