Lifter Issues

I am a mechanic in a Buick-Gmc dealer and have not seen many valvetrain issues on the 6.0's. The engines with AFM is another story altogether.I just finished a camshaft,lifters,vlom,and one cylinder head on a 2015 yukon with a 5.3 that had 37,000 miles on it Wednesday and today got a 2016 Yukon XL with 31,000 miles on it running on seven cylinders and making alot of valve train noise on the right bank, I pulled that valve cover off and have a broken exhaust valve spring on number 6 which is an AFM cylinder.It is almost always a cylinder with deactivation which either break the lifter or flatten the cam out.Both engines were clean inside and obviously maintained. We are seeing alot of theses lately.I am waiting on parts to finish this one Monday and hopefully it is just a valve spring on this one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have 2014 gmc Denali with 6.2. I took it to dealer because motor was ticking. It has bad lifter. It only has 48,000 miles and I don't haul anything. I am filing complaint with gmc. From what I am hearing, it is a common problem. The commercial so says precision. Yeah precision my ass!!