Thank You GM AFM

Need I say more....

2008 LC9, 201,000 miles

It didn’t outright fail but getting regular random misfires and usual issues and a felt wobble in motor at idle about every 5 seconds. All plugs and coils addressed prior to transplant. 

C67F3FC6-C5D6-4F36-B4A9-C49DF2791A67.jpeg

743F22AA-E9F3-4851-AF77-8A8A6460C74F.jpeg

CEF69B6D-282D-4AD2-9332-25CE3294A573.jpeg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

200k is great mileage for a first time AFM failure.  Most we read about are about 1/2 that.

I bought the Burb knowing the motor was sick and previous owner said the misfires, cel, stumbling would come and go over the last 50k Miles.  He was driving it until it would die and on a few occasions gave it an Italian Tune Up and it would go away for a bit.

Swap afternoon 1, 3 hours.

Motor comes out in AM, swap over parts.... installation is the reverse....

Sure glad I moved our construction  business to vacant auto repair shop....  got a lift, 55 gal drums of oilx3, drum of atf, drum of antifreeze, and drum of brake cleaner.  Owner was retiring and we picked up a ton of stuff for auto projects.  Also got a building plumbed for air, compressor, hot water parts washer....

The Burb is not sitting on the floor just lowered on the hoist to spare the back when leaning over....

4D3EE1C7-405D-429A-9CFC-855089933BC9.jpeg

46CE5A66-9093-4BD3-8332-25144A5ACEC5.jpeg

6A8C0A76-0587-4145-BA7C-35042860D08C.jpeg

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

540 FAN

Have you owned this truck from new or near new? Please, tell us about your maintenance procedures. 

No purchased it recently from known source with know history.  Previous owner had it from 98K to 200K and all service work was from a local Chevy dealer with new seals, plugs, coil packs, gaskets, drivetrain issues, air suspension delete etc...  Well cared for and they guy had a company expense account that paid for any service needed.  Oil spot in the driveway, new oil pan gaskets $800.  Great way to keep them running...

Burb is clean and would rate excellent and high retail for condition and miles.  Barely a scratch on the paint and no curb rash on the wheels.  Clean interior, new LED lighting, new headlights and tail lights . Pretty much all the things we want to do to our vehicles as long as someone else is paying for it....

You will see in the photos I just put new front brakes on it as old ones were <40% and I was getting some rotor warpage plus it was going to be on the rack for a few days.

Will also replace right front axle shaft seal as it is starting to seep.  All diff, transfer case, and tranny fluids will get changed too.

With the motor swap and purchase price, I'm in it for less than 12K. May seem like a lot for a 10 year old vehicle but it's really clean and I will run it for at least 100K miles and the new motor has a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.

12 hours ago, 540fan said:

May seem like a lot for a 10 year old vehicle but it's really clean and I will run it for at least 100K miles and the new motor has a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Fraser motor?  How'd you get a 5-year, unlimitied?

12 hours ago, 540fan said:

With the motor swap and purchase price, I'm in it for less than 12K. May seem like a lot for a 10 year old vehicle but it's really clean and I will run it for at least 100K miles and the new motor has a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Seems an intelligent buy to me. A new one is north of 70K. You're miles ahead. Enjoy it. :thumbs:

Sounds like you're on the right path to giving new life to a tired vehicle!  Your story reminded me of my new engine experience.   I once paid to have a new engine installed in my "new to me" truck that I owned when I was still in my teens.  In my ignorance I thought this would be the like getting a new truck.  I soon learned just how many other components need to be replaced to run like new!   It was a valuable and expensive lesson.  It sounds like op has gone into this project knowing the worth and health of the entire truck and will end up with a very nice ride!

2 hours ago, Xtreemjedi said:

Their site says unlimited, but for 3 years. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. 

It was the 5-year part that seemed unrealistic.

Anyways,  the best part of your whole experience, me thinks, is the shop your business lucked in to.

Sometimes, almost willing to kill for a lift.  Well done.

9 minutes ago, GhostWriter said:

It was the 5-year part that seemed unrealistic.

Anyways,  the best part of your whole experience, me thinks, is the shop your business lucked in to.

Sometimes, almost willing to kill for a lift.  Well done.

Personally a lift is on my list of wants.  

Its a pleasant thing that these engines are pretty simple to swap.  Unplug, unbolt lift it up and out.  If you tune out the AFM and keep up with the maintenance it should last much more than 100k. 

2 hours ago, Logan Lanfear said:

If you tune out the AFM and keep up with the maintenance it should last much more than 100k. 

I agree. It should.

Unfortunately, I don't trust the AFM lifters - even when they're tuned out.

Realize this is probably nothing more than a personal phobia, considering the odds.

One other thing.........notice how low you can kneel your vehicle with a lift? My jack stands can't compete. That is, unless I dig a hole.

Archived