Thank You GM AFM

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GhostWriter said:

Fraser motor?  How'd you get a 5-year, unlimitied?

Yes if you buy their HD rebuild and install kit.

My written quote from them states:

5 years/unlimited miles no fault (One time free replacement no questions asked)

Unit price $3,198 plus $310 core shipped....

The cheaper motor is $2,650 plus $310 core and has a 3 year 100k mile warranty...

I did my homework before buying.

56 minutes ago, Bad Bowtie2 said:

To me, it would have been a non-AFM 6.2L going back under that hood.

I wonder if "Fraser Motors" has that same warranty on a 6.2L?

I’m not trying to get more output.  It is a Suburban after all and just want clean reliable transportation.  The wife didn’t care for the 94 3/4 ton with the 6.5 diesel, 4 inch exhaust, muffler delete, and motor tune.  That one I got carried away with when I bought it as a $2900 beater and started fixing this and that, then paint, then leather, then heads, then turbo, then ....  That was when Chevy really made a Suburban!

‘Playing this 08 very conservatively.

AC7F9AA5-1EC4-47E4-A238-970DEC292749.jpeg

C0A37224-1A11-4FF5-9CDF-CECE4CF79DC4.jpeg

AF962F36-36A0-4E4A-BA49-56F5A84BF4F1.jpeg

Today's progress off and on working between distractions.  Only hang up was an exhaust nut that wouldn't budge.  Hit it with an air chisel and it broke loose and needed a new nut but stud was fine.  The hot water parts washer is a dream....

Additional parts so far:

New starter $159.00

Cam Pos sensor $48

Nut $0.50

Front axle housing seal (found a small leak) $18.00

Front axle housing gasket $16.00

Front axle gear lube $15.00

2008 Sub - 5.jpg

2008 Sub - 6.jpg

2008 Sub - 2.jpg

2008 Sub - 3.jpg

2008 Sub - 4.jpg

2008 Sub - 1.jpg

18 hours ago, 540fan said:

I did my homework before buying.

Just received the same quote for the "high durability" option from Fraser.

In writing, it's the best deal I've ever seen.  Hope to see periodic updates.  Well done.                                                                                                                                           

Today’s status, one more shop hour to go in the AM and time to start it up.

observations:

Remove the front differential for ease of access, easy to do.  Mine had a leaky seal on the right side of the housing and milky white gear lube.  

Motor came out with HB on but remove it if you can because it will give you 3 plus inches of additional clearance between radiator and lip of the firewall.

4F3D0B29-2DDB-4492-BD03-6459E576791E.jpeg

38ABD2DF-AA96-4069-82AC-687C9083CAE3.jpeg

49619DBA-3846-4232-AF7D-8B778C15A82C.jpeg

Project is complete!

only hang up is we pinched the 4wd wiring harness and shorted the wires when we reinstalled the front differential.  Started up the motor and had CEL and transmission codes and all kinds of other ones.  We locate$ the pinched wires and repaired. Test drove and still had transmission code and the SnapOn scanner was not showing any live data and transmission was in limp mode. Of course check the fuses!  Blown transmission ignition fuse.

Motor runs smooth, no lag, and great oil pressure.  At idle half way between 40 and the gauge mark, under acceleration (mild) just above the gauge mark between 40 and 80.

Bonus is I sold the core for 800 to a guy wanting to do an LS swap so I net 500against my added parts.

Fraser Motor with core $3500

Misc parts $1000

spld old Motor (500)

all in cost 4,000 with 5 year one time replacement warranty 

31 minutes ago, Colossus said:

So the transmission issue resolved?  Driving ok now?

Yes, replaced a fuse and driving fine.  Breaking in new motor and will do first oil change in 300 miles.

We found the source of the failing AFM and exercised it out of the Burb.  I think he’s looking for another 5.3 to infect!??

This is the end of my official first post thread, this stuff is way better than working on diesels.???

CF016DB2-06FB-462D-B9D0-70ED0B17D5BB.jpeg

My buddy says I am paranoid and that the engine is "supposed to work that way" when I told him I was going to get a Range AFM defeat module. I said a v8 was designed to run on 8 cylinders and that the AFM was bound to fail. 21st century EPA appeasement tech grafted onto an engine that is an updated version of a near century old idea there was really nothing wrong with.

If you are going to build a multi-displacement engine, design it that way from the ground up. That is not the case with the current state of GM AFM Tech. This is the Cadillac diesel all over again.

Archived