6.0 stock exhaust system (muffler)

What is the deal with that 55 gallon drum they call a muffler??? I noticed it looks like crap from the side the way it hangs down below the body and frame lines. Has anyone sprayed it high temp flat black to make it somewhat disappear? I don't have the funds to replace the exhaust system right now.

Edited by cdh027

I painted mine black with high temp grill paint.  It kind of wears off a little but I just blast it again. But I also paint every visable piece of undercarriage with black paint every spring, the hasrh sand and salt wear it off so I touch it up, like axles, frame you name it I hit it with cheap flat black, it looks like new all summer then wears off so there is no gunky buildup that flakes off.  $2 A can flat black.

• Like 1

Before mine got damaged and I replaced it, I used high temp black paint.

There really isn't a whole lot to those trash cans, they are actually pretty efficient and don't warrant removal unless you want more noise...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

I put a Magnaflow 3.5 in / 3.5 out offset oval straight thru on my 2015 2500 shortly after buying the pickup new.  Great mellow, throaty sound without being obnoxious.  Just what the pickup called for instead of the trash can OEM muffler.  Never felt any desire to paint the thing. 

Edited by Cowpie

6 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I put a Magnaflow 3.5 in / 3.5 out offset oval straight thru on my 2015 2500 shortly after buying the pickup new.  Great mellow, throaty sound without being obnoxious.  Just what the pickup called for instead of the trash can OEM muffler.  Never felt any desire to paint the thing. 

I hear ya, I just don't have the cash after dumping a butt load in a new truck, lift, wheels, tires, gears, steps, hood, etc. I don't want a divorce at this time. High temp black paint, newspaper and masking tape are going to be my friend.

• 9 months later...

I really can't say if putting on the magnaflo on mine made any difference.   I just am old school and like the nice throaty sound like back in the day muscle cars.   I think it might has a positive effect in that I have typically gotten a slight edge in  fuel economy compared to what others post for mpg.  I put the Magnaflo on so early in the game that I had no baseline to compare either performance or economy.

Has anyone tried a straight pipe in place of the muffler on these? I have heard a straight piped 6.2 1500 that they removed the muffler and left the resonator in and it sounded pretty damn good. I know we don't have a resonator, but just thought I'd ask?

Edited by cdh027