Drop hitch?

The drop depends on the trailers that you’re pulling.  My trailer is 19” to top of ball when sitting level, so I’m right at the bottom of my hitch in the rise position.  I use a One Mount channel hitch, which is identical to the Curt channel hitch. It has a good range of adjustment, especially when used with the pintle/ball combos. I’m not a fan of the double ball so I use mine with the pintle/ball combos, have both 2” and 2 5/16”.  The pintle combos give a bit more drop than the double ended ball.  I was originally looking at the B&W pintle/ball hitch but didn’t like that it has a hollow shank. The One Mount/Curt channel hitch has a solid shank and is built very solid overall. 

Edited by Tdotsfinest

28 minutes ago, xps800doo said:

i went this route, i liked the all alum. construction, I don't see ever needing to tow more than 10k personally but to each their own

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

I just heard of weigh-safe.  I'll need to look into them more.  Thanks for the heads up.  I don't tow too often.  Maybe 3-4 times a year.  Two of them are dropping in and taking out boats.  So I'm looking for something that's quality construction, but doesn't have to be top of the line.

10 minutes ago, Buckshot556 said:

It is dependant on trailer more than anything.  I bought the Curt drop hitch because I want the weakest link to be the truck not any of the towing accessories (I have a 2500).  It is extremely heavy and rock solid.  Worth every penny.

Thanks! I'm gathering more and more it is dependent on trailer height.  Looks like I'll be getting an adjustable hitch.  The pontoon trailer is obviously higher than that of the race boat.

1 hour ago, FootballCoach53 said:

Thanks! I'm gathering more and more it is dependent on trailer height.  Looks like I'll be getting an adjustable hitch.  The pontoon trailer is obviously higher than that of the race boat.

I had two trailers with different hitch heights and ball size.  I bought and setup two receivers.  I found this to be the least expensive and most convenient option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballCoach53 said:

I just heard of weigh-safe.  I'll need to look into them more.  Thanks for the heads up.  I don't tow too often.  Maybe 3-4 times a year.  Two of them are dropping in and taking out boats.  So I'm looking for something that's quality construction, but doesn't have to be top of the line.

its all comes down to trailer weight and how much and often. I hook up to 3 different trailers 2" and 2 5/16" balls, and anywhere from 800 to 12k lbs.(i have a 2500 with the 2.5" receiver)  by the time i put 2 or 3 different receivers together i was at the same cost of the weight safe. made sense for me... you are not pulling a lot of weight in reality may get away with one receiver and deal with it not being perfect level not to spend close to $300....