Rear Bumper cost? Fender bender brand new 2018

Backing up at Walmart seat buzzed when the collision happened. Yes I checked my mirrors and backup camera. When I initially started backing up, truck behind me was parked. Then all the sudden, there is a compact mazda truck in my camera. I believe he started backing up after me and even though I stopped there was still a collision. 

So now my new truck has a tweaked rear bumper.

Anyone know the cost of just the chrome bumper? 

We exchanged insurance info and his 90's Mazda truck is just fine. We couldn't tell where it hit his bumper!

Happend on private property so didn't report to police since they can't assign blame.

Should I just fix myself?

Report and risk diminished value?

DAMNIT!

Edited by 2009GMC

Sorry to hear but thankfully it didn't get into the bed. You're looking at right around $500 for a raw bumper it seems then just a matter of transferring everything over. This is a 2017 Sierra. They didn't have a listing for a 2018 yet. 

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2017/gmc/sierra-1500/slt-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

• Like 1

Sorry to hear but thankfully it didn't get into the bed. You're looking at right around $500 for a raw bumper it seems then just a matter of transferring everything over. This is a 2017 Sierra. They didn't have a listing for a 2018 yet. 

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2017/gmc/sierra-1500/slt-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

Thanks for reply. The 79 year old guy is super nice and just invited me to dinner at his lodge.

Not sure who’s insurance will pay. He’s with usaa and said he already reported and said his truck was fine.

Hopefully it all works out!

I was even doing a good deed. Buying my mother in law a new battery for her SUV since it wouldn’t start this afternoon. (original Korean battery lasted 9 years!)

First time I used the truck bed!

and bumper...... :-(

I hope so too. USAA would indicate he might be active military or a veteran. I'd at least take him up on dinner and go from there. Nobody's fault really. Just one of those unfortunate accidents. Good luck with the repairs.

2 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

I was even doing a good deed. Buying my mother in law a new battery for her car since it wouldn’t start this afternoon. First time I used the truck bed!

and bumper...... :-(

And that's the thanks you got? That sucks. If it makes you feel any better, some lady last week passed my truck, which was parked on the street, way too fast and hit my right mirror (tow mirror) with her mirror. I looked it over in the rain and didn't see anything obvious, but a few days later I got it washed and discovered she hit the mirror so hard, it folded in and make contact with the door creating a dent. I'm pretty pissed. I should have got her insurance info. I never thought it would have been possible for that to happen without destroying the mirror. Guess I was wrong.

And that's the thanks you got? That sucks. If it makes you feel any better, some lady last week passed my truck, which was parked on the street, way too fast and hit my right mirror (tow mirror) with her mirror. I looked it over in the rain and didn't see anything obvious, but a few days later I got it washed and discovered she hit the mirror so hard, it folded in and make contact with the door creating a dent. I'm pretty pissed. I should have got her insurance info. I never thought it would have been possible for that to happen without destroying the mirror. Guess I was wrong.

Sorry to hear that! That’s crazy the mirror didn’t get destroyed but passed it into the door.

Hopefully a good paintless dent repair place can pull it out and for little $$$$.

I know, I was completely shocked. I hope that's the case as well. I have a friend who owns a body shop. I keep forgetting to call him, but hopefully he will have some insight for me.

Alright guys. 

After back and forth with the insurance company they want to do 50/50 blame. There is now a claim on MY insurance and they want me to pay my deductible to fix. I also have a 10yr accident discount I don't want to lose and of course don't want my insurance rates to go up. 

I'm extra pissed because now this will show up on Carfax and it wasn't my fault. We all know that damage on Carfax, even minor affects resale and trade-in value. Of course since this was in a parking lot no blame can be issued so its a he said she said thing.

Got an estimate at local GMC dealer and its $1800 to replace bumper, plastic bumper pad, 2 brackets. They move my sensors over to new bumper.

Hell, I can replace just the bumper on my own for much less $$$.

Any advice? 

If you decide to fix this yourself look on Craigslist/offer up/Facebook/etc and see if you can find a take off bumper. I find them all the time around here for 500 or less, guys swapping out for aftermarket/custom built or companies adding box lifts/drop bumpers. Finding one with the holes for the sensors might take a little longer but you’ll find one, your buddy might be able to drill holes for sensors in a non holed bumper. Your body shop buddy might know of a company that does this in your area also check with the truck accessories shops in your area.

If you do not make a claim, will you still maintain your safe driver discount and not be reported to Carfax?  What is your deductible?  If you can get this repaired off the record it would be foolish to go through insurance.  Get a few estimates from local body shops.  You will find a cheaper deal than from your dealer and if you stress it is out of pocket, they may cut you a better deal.  

Edited by Donstar

7 minutes ago, Donstar said:

If you do not make a claim, will you still maintain your safe driver discount and not be reported to Carfax?  What is your deductible?  If you can get this repaired off the record it would be foolish to go through insurance.  Get a few estimates from local body shops.  You will find a cheaper deal than from your dealer and if you stress it is out of pocket, they may cut you a better deal.  

I didn't call it in. The other driver called it in and now there is a claim open on both his and my insurance. My deductible is $500 but since they want to do 50/50 blame it would be 250 deductible. I'm still fighting that It was not my fault but will have to see how that goes.