DEF metering

So I took my 2500 in this weekend because my DIC says 19% of DEF remaining and only 134 miles. I know this is based off of fuel consumption. That compared to previous usage, I’m using (by DIC calculations) twice as much DEF as normal. I’m assuming there is a glitch... ? This just doesn’t seem normal. Also having my phantom “low coolant” addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUys. guys, quit worring about the DEF!!!  Don't watch your level and worry about if I'm using to much or not enough!!!  It has a warning light that will come on and tell you when you 1,000 miles left and then again when you have 300 miles left to empty, and most of us will not be more than 300 miles way from where we can get some DEF, so don't worry just enjoy your truck and hook to the biggest thing you can find and smile as you go down the road!!!  :jester:

• Like 2

GUys. guys, quit worring about the DEF!!!  Don't watch your level and worry about if I'm using to much or not enough!!!  It has a warning light that will come on and tell you when you 1,000 miles left and then again when you have 300 miles left to empty, and most of us will not be more than 300 miles way from where we can get some DEF, so don't worry just enjoy your truck and hook to the biggest thing you can find and smile as you go down the road!!!  :jester:

I understand what you are saying. Maybe I’m reading into it too much. If this pig has a warranty for 20k more miles. Then it should be operating as indicated or be fixed. Right?

The first time this go around it told me I had 1000 miles and 30%, a few days later it went away for a few hundred miles when it came on again. I assumed it was because my usage changed due to towing the TT. However, when the miles ran down and the percentage did not... makes me think either the sensor/float is stuck or I really only got about 600miles out of 3 gallons of DEF.

Yupp, it should be made to work correctly, but the def level sensing system isn't accurate enough to tell you usage over 600 miles.

Yes. Not my point though. I’m averaging close to 1000-1100 miles per gallon. Now I’m averaging less than 600 gallon. Which equates to at 19% I should have 1.3 gallons and more than 150-ish miles to empty. Not less than 1/4 gallon.

What I'm trying to say is that over 600 miles the gauge isn't accurate enough to tell how much you used. 

You posted that you only got 600 miles for 3 gallons of def.  (so 200 mpg)

If you want to know for  sure that it's using that much, fill the 7 gallon tank and in 12 or 1300 miles it'll give the low warnings and you'll be able to put another 6 or so in it'   Only cost is a little for the def.

It might be using to much.  But 600 miles and the def gauge isn't a good way to determine that.

Fill it til it starts to gurgle and when it gets to the 1000 mile warning refill it till it again starts to gurgle.  You will have a much more accurate measure of how much def was used over the miles travelled.  The more def is used before refill, the more accurate the mileage estimate will be. 

Unless there is some obvious problem (like a leak they can see) your dealer is going to want a longer mileage test anyway

• Like 1

don't loose any sleep over the DEF gauage thing.  GM does a good job with the TPMS but they and Ford and Dodge suck at the DEF and DPF systems.  These will be your biggest headaches on the Duramax, along with the NoX sensors. 

Well I got the truck back with a free tank of DEF, under warranty. 6 gallons of Joy. No good explanation. Have to log miles until it goes back at the end of this tank of DEF.

• Like 1