DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

10 hours ago, ExFordGuy77 said:

The GMC build and price is a lot more complicated than the Silverado's build & price. GMC adds all kinds of exceptions and overpriced packages to get the 8-speedd with the 5.3. I don't know why anyone would spend an extra $4k to get a sierra 5.3 and 8 speed with the 3.42 gears without the max tow. And I have seen a hybrid K2 truck yet.

Kind of like 3737 is whining about taller gears even though they're not? Judging by his attitude he probably isn't even out of high school yet.The standard drivetrain for a 2018 5.3 is the 6-speed and 3.08's. The new standard drivetrain for the 5.3 is the 8 speed and 3.23's. A 2019 1500 with the 5.3 8 speed and 3.23s will outpull and out accelerate a 6 speed truck with 3.73's. Him whining because the axle ratio is "taller" is an intentionally ignorant one. More than one guy here has demonstrated this.  

Oh and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between 3.23's and 3.42's with 33's. When first is a 4.56 and 2nd gear is 2.97, that transmission won't care which axle its connected to. You would have to be pulling 8 or 9k lbs before you would notice it. If you can't figure that out, maybe you should just go buy a different truck. Ford would be happy to sell you an overpriced toy truck with 3.73's and a 10speed. Won't do you much good when it spends half of its time in the service bay but hey you got them gears!

I think you should read the whole thread.  Making it really difficult to get a 8 speed 5.3 3.42 gear truck that doesn't have max tow is a very recent thing.  

I have no problem with the 3.23.  I just want an option for 3.42 on the 5.3 that isn't max tow.  Or allow max tow and Z71 /elevation / Trailboss.  3.23s is fine for the trucks with 18" wheels that have 32" tires. 20s come with 33s and I would like something in the 33-34" range - that's where the 3.42s would be nice.  Re gearing a truck is very expensive and voids your warranty

While I dont want 3.73 gears, someone who wants some 34-35" LT tires may.

• Like 1

GM doesn't make it any easier. Their system for building a truck forces you to add X which deletes Y, but you don't want to delete Y because 1 of the 10 things in that package is something you really want. GM uses the 8-speed to either force you to buy a hybrid electric 5.3, buy the max tow package, or pay $5200 for what is mostly a bunch of junk. Especially the cheap looking chrome-clad wheels. That is on top of the premium you have to pay for getting the upper trim just to have the option of the 8-speed. 

If you read through an order guide for their trucks, you can get lost pretty fast.

That’s General Motors’s marketing. They do it on all their vehicles. If someone really wants it they’ll pay for it. Is their thinking

Ram does it completely different, you can pick a base model and build it up to what ever you want and skip the things you don’t need.

I wish gm did that, but tell then you either pay $$$$ for the 1 thing you want or choose a lesser and save $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 48548 said:

No one listened to me get an HD and get 3.73 with the allison and dmax. Not saying is better, but you get your gears.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hear ya. Good point. As 1/2 tons become more car like going to a 3/4 ton might be the better way to go. You get a lot more capability thats for sure. No single speed transfer case with those either lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And you'll save money upfront.

I hear ya. Good point. As 1/2 tons become more car like going to a 3/4 ton might be the better way to go. You get a lot more capability thats for sure. No single speed transfer case with those either lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I think you should read the whole thread.  Making it really difficult to get a 8 speed 5.3 3.42 gear truck that doesn't have max tow is a very recent thing.  

I have no problem with the 3.23.  I just want an option for 3.42 on the 5.3 that isn't max tow.  Or allow max tow and Z71 /elevation / Trailboss.  3.23s is fine for the trucks with 18" wheels that have 32" tires. 20s come with 33s and I would like something in the 33-34" range - that's where the 3.42s would be nice.  Re gearing a truck is very expensive and voids your warranty

While I dont want 3.73 gears, someone who wants some 34-35" LT tires may.

But that's what we have been saying. This whole idea that 33's are going to make a truck with 3.23's feel doggy is no different than when guys thought that 3.73's were going to be too tall for the 6 speed. That was all because the 4 speed and 3.73's were as low as you would want to go for 33's before the truck would start to feel like a dog. Turns out that the 6 speed with 3.73's works awesome with 33's and even 3.42's work pretty good with 33's for most of us. Like I posted a couple pages back, the 8 speed with 3.23's is as good as the 6 speed was with 3.73's. Instead of doing the gear reduction at the axle, more of it is being done inside the 8 and 10 speed transmission. Would it be nice to have 3.42's? Sure but the government is making that harder and harder to do.

Putting tires on your truck that are larger than the factory size is more likely to cause you warranty problems than changing your ring & pinion gears. As long as the gears are installed correctly there shouldn't be an issue. Plus they can see oversized tires a lot easier than different R&P's.

Edited by ExFordGuy77

10 hours ago, Deadpoollane said:

That’s General Motors’s marketing. They do it on all their vehicles. If someone really wants it they’ll pay for it. Is their thinking

Ram does it completely different, you can pick a base model and build it up to what ever you want and skip the things you don’t need.

I wish gm did that, but tell then you either pay $$$$ for the 1 thing you want or choose a lesser and save $$$

I've always ordered my trucks (since '81), but have noticed in recent years the ordering/optioning process has become stupid. Sometimes I wonder if the people behind the scenes really know how people use trucks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3737 said:

Does the Max Tow Pkg, add much to the towing capacity of the base 1/2 ton or is it just a band aid for owners that tow occasionally? Seeing how my '94 1/2 ton 'settled' w/ a load of firewood in it, made the decision to go to a 3/4 ton pretty easy when I bought my next truck.

In the old days a 1/2 ton was a 1/2 ton. Now they're a glorified Impala w/ a box.

Edited by revrnd

I've always ordered my trucks (since '81), but have noticed in recent years the ordering/optioning process has become stupid. Sometimes I wonder if the people behind the scenes really know how people use trucks.

The answer to that is no lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crowsfoot said:

I fill my 8' box all the time with firewood and it does a great job. I will never "level" a truck because of that reason. The brakes are way better than yesteryear too.

Well w/ my '94 (8' box) I added 2 leaves on each side. Oh & it had the 'vaunted' Z71 Pkg (rolling my eyes).

18 hours ago, ExFordGuy77 said:

But that's what we have been saying. This whole idea that 33's are going to make a truck with 3.23's feel doggy is no different than when guys thought that 3.73's were going to be too tall for the 6 speed. That was all because the 4 speed and 3.73's were as low as you would want to go for 33's before the truck would start to feel like a dog. Turns out that the 6 speed with 3.73's works awesome with 33's and even 3.42's work pretty good with 33's for most of us. Like I posted a couple pages back, the 8 speed with 3.23's is as good as the 6 speed was with 3.73's. Instead of doing the gear reduction at the axle, more of it is being done inside the 8 and 10 speed transmission. Would it be nice to have 3.42's? Sure but the government is making that harder and harder to do.

Putting tires on your truck that are larger than the factory size is more likely to cause you warranty problems than changing your ring & pinion gears. As long as the gears are installed correctly there shouldn't be an issue. Plus they can see oversized tires a lot easier than different R&P's.

No, larger tires will not cause more warranty issues.  With a gear change both differentials are no longer covered at all and they most likely wouldn't even look at driveline vibrations, related or not.  Then you need to flash the computer, so it's basically all gone at that time. 

Dealerships around here sell trucks with larger tires.   If you have an issue requiring a new engine or extensive work GM requires proof the ECU wasn't modified.  

6 speed with 3.73 is passable, on 32s.  8 speed with 3.23s has a 1st gear like a 6 speed with 3.65, going off memory.  Don't forget it's not just the diameter but also the increased weight of bigger tires, especially LTs

Fact is if 3.42 gears did nothing GM wouldn't offer it on max tow trucks.  You and hawk are talking out of both sides of your mouth and convinced I don't know what I want.  Perhaps my needs are different than yours...?  

4 speed with 3.73s and even 4.10s were a dog.   

Edited by shift_grind

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

Does the Max Tow Pkg, add much to the towing capacity of the base 1/2 ton or is it just a band aid for owners that tow occasionally? Seeing how my '94 1/2 ton 'settled' w/ a load of firewood in it, made the decision to go to a 3/4 ton pretty easy when I bought my next truck.

In the old days a 1/2 ton was a 1/2 ton. Now they're a glorified Impala w/ a box.

I'd strongly disagree on the Impala with a box reference.  A modern 1/2 ton has more capability than a old timer 1 ton.  They can tow more at higher speeds and be safer doing it.  

5 hours ago, shift_grind said:

No, larger tires will not cause more warranty issues.  With a gear change both differentials are no longer covered at all and they most likely wouldn't even look at driveline vibrations, related or not.  Then you need to flash the computer, so it's basically all gone at that time. 

Dealerships around here sell trucks with larger tires.   If you have an issue requiring a new engine or extensive work GM requires proof the ECU wasn't modified.  

6 speed with 3.73 is passable, on 32s.  8 speed with 3.23s has a 1st gear like a 6 speed with 3.65, going off memory.  Don't forget it's not just the diameter but also the increased weight of bigger tires, especially LTs

Fact is if 3.42 gears did nothing GM wouldn't offer it on max tow trucks.  You and hawk are talking out of both sides of your mouth and convinced I don't know what I want.  Perhaps my needs are different than yours...?  

4 speed with 3.73s and even 4.10s were a dog.   

32's only being "passable" with the 6-speed and 3.73's? I'm sorry man but that's crazy talk. And I ONLY run 10-ply so I haven't neglected that consideration. 3.08's and the 6 speed? Yeah barely passable even though there are guys with 3.08's and 35's on here lol. You might have different needs than anyone else but no manufacturer builds trucks with axle ratios designed for running big lifts and 35's unless its them selling it.... Like an overpriced mall-runner like a Raptor for example lol. 

The 8 speed with 3.23's has a 1st gear final drive that's really close to the 4 speed with 4.88's and has a better 2nd gear final drive than the 4-speed and 5.13's. Most guys with GMT800's that had 33's would run 4.10's or 4.56's and the guys with 35's ran 4.56 or 4.88's.

Warranties....a GM rep will notice oversized tires a lot sooner than he'll decide to put a truck on a lift and very carefully count tire revolutions. There have been plenty of powertrain warranties denied for oversized tires. By GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota.... Some dealers some dealers are better than others when it comes to tires. Other than a driveshaft balance issue or busted G80 I can't think of a reason anyone would even check if your gears are stock.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I'd strongly disagree on the Impala with a box reference.  A modern 1/2 ton has more capability than a old timer 1 ton.  They can tow more at higher speeds and be safer doing it.  

I was referring to the interior. Try finding a truck on a lot w/o carpetting. And no I don't want a 1/2 ton that looks like it came from a DOT auction.

Why do people keep bringing up the 4 speed reference.  Why not go all the way back to the TH350 for reference? 2.52 1st gear.  Powerglide too perhaps? 

I have a 6 speed with 2.92's, 27" tire.  It needs more gear for sure.  So does the 6 speed 3.42 ratio truck I drove a lot, that also had a 32" tire.  

A 8 speed with 3.23 gears and 33" tires will drive a lot like a 6 speed with 3.42 gears and 32" tires as far as 1st gear goes.