DISAPPOINTING 2019 Chevy Powertrain / Gearing options

On 6/27/2018 at 9:34 AM, shift_grind said:

That's not accurate.  5.3 8 3.42 was standard on slts and LTZs since 2016.  They just slowly pulled back availability of it until now you have to order a top-trim truck to get it.

You don't have to defend everything they do, you can have complaints and still like the product. I'd rather they make a better product and packages versus just accepting everything they do is the best. 

Most of us buy LT's and SLE's. So for the majority of us, even the 5.3/8/3.23's is a huge improvement. Especially for the guys with the 6-speed and 3.42's or 3.08's.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, shift_grind said:

I have driven a stock k2 with a 5.3 and 6 speed 3.42s, no tune.  

You guys are suggesting spending 2k to regear, requiring a tune  which will void your warranty if you will have a problem.  Wow  How about they just offer 3.42s.  

The logic here makes me just sigh and shake my head.  The only possible explanation is you guys work for GM and insist of telling people what they need and not caring what they want.  All to save a couple bucks, meanwhile losing sales. 

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if HondaHawk and ExFordGuy have ties to GM. They haven’t had an original thought and are just in GM spin control mode constantly.

GM powertrains are disappointing. The consensus is pretty clear on that. No one is impressed. 

2019 Payload, Towing, Mpg data is out. The Fast Lane Truck has a video on it and they aren’t really impressed either..….Shocking

Any student of history will know that GM does incremental improvements and their engines are no exception.  Often times, they will introduce many engine choices and reduce them once the market has decided what it likes.  Generally speaking, the engines get more powerful later on in that generation's run.  It works.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 3737 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if HondaHawk and ExFordGuy have ties to GM. They haven’t had an original thought and are just in GM spin control mode constantly.

GM powertrains are disappointing. The consensus is pretty clear on that. No one is impressed. 

2019 Payload, Towing, Mpg data is out. The Fast Lane Truck has a video on it and they aren’t really impressed either..….Shocking

I have no connection with GM.   Many of us are excited to see the arrival of these lighter, more efficient trucks.    I believe introducing a 4cyl into the lineup was a bold move for GM.  Consumers like me are looking for higher mpg numbers more than higher hp numbers.  GM already offers more V8 power than most will ever need or use. 1/4 mile race track times are interesting fodder for discussion but not a practical measure when comparing trucks, imo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Colossus said:

So what!?  they will still sell just fine and for 99% of the people out there, get the job done that they need.  Get over it. 

The "good enough" argument.  I'd say your 99% is probably more like 50-75.  It may not be a deal breaker, but owners of other brands are always talking about how much they like the power of their xxx truck.  The only setup GM allows us to have a fun setup is a very expensive LTZ with a 6.2. 

I really like the new trucks.  But they're making some mistakes here.  It's sad to see how much better the GM trucks are than Fords but Ford outsells them because they are allowing people to build the truck they want, not the truck GM wants them to have.  6 engine choices sounds great on paper, but only one fun choice and you have to spend 60k to get it?  

The last new truck I bought was a 14 GMC Texas Edition. Being a critic as far as cylinder deactivation goes, I was very impressed with the truck. Keeping in mind I’m a retired 62 year old I’ve been buying trucks since 1974. My 14 was the first time I was satisfied with the performance, 342 gear, 6 speed combo. Throw in E-85 for 25 more HP, I left the engine tune alone. The ride, wind noise, was the best ever. If I was ever in need of a DD new truck, GM would be the first choice. I would have to make sure that I would get some kind of extended warranty on the engine. There’re getting real creative in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The "good enough" argument.  I'd say your 99% is probably more like 50-75.  It may not be a deal breaker, but owners of other brands are always talking about how much they like the power of their xxx truck.  The only setup GM allows us to have a fun setup is a very expensive LTZ with a 6.2. 

I really like the new trucks.  But they're making some mistakes here.  It's sad to see how much better the GM trucks are than Fords but Ford outsells them because they are allowing people to build the truck they want, not the truck GM wants them to have.  6 engine choices sounds great on paper, but only one fun choice and you have to spend 60k to get it?  
For 60k buy a duramax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I bought this new in 12 and i have 22-23k on it. I was thinking of a 2020... this is a duramax with 3.73, locker and 2 speed transfercase. I think i paid 63k out the door with tags, tax and a 10 year 120k warranty with no deductible. And in az tags were about 1200 when i bought it. It is a denali as well. 10653625a26819dbef719214366a7d9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

I have no connection with GM.   Many of us are excited to see the arrival of these lighter, more efficient trucks.    I believe introducing a 4cyl into the lineup was a bold move for GM.  Consumers like me are looking for higher mpg numbers more than higher hp numbers.  GM already offers more V8 power than most will ever need or use. 1/4 mile race track times are interesting fodder for discussion but not a practical measure when comparing trucks, imo.  

You are the first person I have interacted with that is interested in the 4 banger. I am glad you can order the truck you want. Choice is good. I hope you can get class-leading MPG because so far nothing powertrain related has been class-leading. You are giving up 4,000 lbs of towing so MPG better be good. I am surprised you are excited about the 8 speed that goes with it, I would have thought the 10 speed would have been a given there. Even the dealers around here are reluctant to stock the new 4. They are also reluctant to stock the single speed transfer case. Maybe this area is an anomaly, time will tell.  

12 hours ago, Colossus said:

So what!?  they will still sell just fine and for 99% of the people out there, get the job done that they need.  Get over it. 

“So what?” Its disappointing that’s what. Hard to get excited about good enough on a new truck. Most used trucks satisfy good enough to get the job done, and for a fraction of the price. “they will still sell just fine” …arrogance 

Kinda amazed with the overall prevalence of the “good enough” attitude and lack of passion. This is a forum for enthusiast’s right? Competition, drive, passion and excellence should be celebrated.

Kinda amazed with the overall prevalence of the “good enough” attitude and lack of passion. This is a forum for enthusiast’s right? Competition, drive, passion and excellence should be celebrated.

Yea, your right. I don’t know how anyone can stand driving a 420 HP, 13 second truck. Kinda makes me wish for that 160 HP SS 454 truck of the 90s. Some people aren’t ever satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 3737 said:

I don't interpret someone being happy with a potentially less powerful truck than a Ford or RAM as having a lack of passion towards GM products.  My truck is a V6 and I installed a chrome V6 badge on the tailgate with a strong sense of pride.  I often get compliments on the look and comfort of my truck. I am very interested in the refinements appearing on the 2019 GM's.  The fact that GM didn't add hp to already high powered V8's doesn't dampen my enthusiasm in the slightest.