SOLVED: Airbag light after alignment

SOLUTION:

After a few no start conditions in one day I was on the verge of buying a new battery. The current one is a 2013, so eh, kinda logical. Might be time. Well - went in and jiggled the hot wire a bit and what do you know...the car woke up. Traced it back to a not fully secured hot terminal. That was the reason for my no starts and presumably, the air bag light. Some quick googling shows that when a weak battery, or poor current/circuit are exhibited the airbag system may malfunction or throw a code.

My theory is that they disconnected the battery during the alignment to adjust the clock spring and did a half ass job putting it back on. Driving down the road and hitting the bumps caused the terminal to bounce and trick the system to thinking there was a fault...hopefully thats all it was.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Just got back from the Chevy dealership where I had a front end alignment done. 

All is good and dialed in, start driving home and notice the airbag light is on....then off. So I kept driving. A moment later it’s back on. So I make a u turn and head back. They looked and said the truck is throwing B0083 and B0084 codes. Seat position sensors for both front seats. Tech and I Looked under it and  They seemed to be fully connected. 

Dr google also found that some have said those codes are front end collision sensor faults. The scan tool brought back seat position info though for a 2006. I’ll attach a picture. 

I have yet yet to crawl under the truck to see if something is off but is there anything I could/should look for? Can an alignment screw up airbag sensors? I’ve heard of the clockspring but seat position sensors?! 

1FEEC04F-03A3-4ECA-9AF8-D256C24D5C6A.jpeg

Edited by astolt12

It never ceases to amaze me how often I hear about problems suddenly developing after a trip to the shop. I knew a guy that owned a repair shop, and he would always tinker with the vehicles so that unrelated problems would develop right after the scheduled repair. He only did this when business was slow. 

7 minutes ago, astolt12 said:

I’ve heard of that too, but didn’t think it would happen at one of the largest Chevy dealers in Georgia...

thoughts on a fix? 

It can filter all the way down to the individual mechanics looking for overtime. 

As for the fix, I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Then I would drive over speed bumps quickly to see if that effects the dash light at all. 

If there are clock spring issues after front end work, it is usually caused by spinning the steering wheel while the steering parts are not connected. Any time you are taking apart the steering parts, you should run the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it. That protects the clock spring. 

B0083 and B0084 set only for the impact sensors.  Did the codes they pull have symptoms as well? 

DTC B0083 00

Left Front Impact Sensor

DTC B0083 0F

Left Front Impact Sensor Erratic

DTC B0083 39

Left Front Impact Sensor Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B0083 3A

Left Front Impact Sensor Incorrect Component Installed

DTC B0083 71

Left Front Impact Sensor Invalid Serial Data Received

DTC B0084 00

Right Front Impact Sensor

DTC B0084 0F

Right Front Impact Sensor Erratic

DTC B0084 39

Right Front Impact Sensor Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B0084 3A

Right Front Impact Sensor Incorrect Component Installed

DTC B0084 71

Right Front Impact Sensor Invalid Serial Data Received

The newer you go the more strange they get from weak batteries.  My 2013 Traverse battery ran down my fault was charging a battery storage box from the 12V while driving and forgot to unhook it.  "camping lol"

Needless to say the Traverse went insane  rolled two windows down, Right blinker and rear wiper all just cam on while it was parked.

All back to normal once I jumped it and charged the battery up.

• Like 1