Chirping noise on cold startup

This is my first post in this forum so please forgive me if I posted it in the wrong spot.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a used 2014 Silverado in January of this year. It has approx. 90 000 Kms( 55000 Miles), it’s a 5.3 LT 4x4. I absolutely love this truck, but have noticed a noise when starting lately. It usually happens when the truck has been sitting overnight, or at least a few hours.

At first I thought it was a belt slipping slightly, but after a month has passed I believe the noise it’s getting worse. As soon as the engine starts to warm up a bit, the noise goes away. Sometimes I’ll notice a little chirping when I accelerate slightly, but after a few mins of warming up or driving it goes away.

I’m thinking this has to be something belt related, a tensioner perhaps? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Here is the link to a video I took which may be of help:

Here is a better video recording the sound on start up. This was taken first thing in the morning after the truck at all night. Once it warms up the sound goes away 

Any help would be appreciated.

My Denali with the 6.2 has had the same noise since day 1. Happens more when its cold or humid, and sometimes during acceleration. I've tracked it to the driver side exhaust manifold area.  I think its a rattle inside the catalytic converter right here. Dealers won't do anything about it because they can't exactly pinpoint it and GM is using their standard "normal operating characteristic" escape card.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:03 PM, mattarmstr said:

At first I thought it was a belt slipping slightly, but after a month has passed I believe the noise it’s getting worse. As soon as the engine starts to warm up a bit, the noise goes away. Sometimes I’ll notice a little chirping when I accelerate slightly, but after a few mins of warming up or driving it goes away.

I have had this problem on 5 vehicles in my life. It is caused by a combination of 2 things:   Wobbling (misaligned) pulley + moisture. 

It makes more noise after the belt absorbs moisture, which is caused by temperature changes. 

Quick temporary solutions that last a few days or weeks:  Change the belt, OR sprinkle some chalk, graphite or other power on the belt to absorb the moisture. '

Long term solutions: Hold a crew driver to the belt while its running and shave about half of the rib depth off of the inner side of the bet. 

Permanent solution: Replace ALL of the pulleys and the belt. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-STRAIT-LINE-Standard-Marking-65102/dp/B00004YOCB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532297888&sr=8-5&keywords=line+chalk

https://www.amazon.com/American-grease-stick-graphite-lubricant/dp/B000K7TOLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532297920&sr=8-1&keywords=powdered+graphite

Edited by starman8tdc

7 hours ago, mattarmstr said:

Here is a better video recording the sound on start up

That second video sounds more like pistons slap. If it is: 

You can't fix it

You don't need to fix it

It wont cause any problems

You can try a Seafoam treatment via the PCV valve hose, but I have never seen treatment be successful.  

54 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

That second video sounds more like pistons slap. If it is: 

You can't fix it

You don't need to fix it

It wont cause any problems

You can try a Seafoam treatment via the PCV valve hose, but I have never seen treatment be successful.  

Would piston slap go away after 20 seconds?

1 hour ago, starman8tdc said:

I have had this problem on 5 vehicles in my life. It is caused by a combination of 2 things:   Wobbling (misaligned) pulley + moisture. 

It makes more noise after the belt absorbs moisture, which is caused by temperature changes. 

Quick temporary solutions that last a few days or weeks:  Change the belt, OR sprinkle some chalk, graphite or other power on the belt to absorb the moisture. '

Long term solutions: Hold a crew driver to the belt while its running and shave about half of the rib depth off of the inner side of the bet. 

Permanent solution: Replace ALL of the pulleys and the belt. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-STRAIT-LINE-Standard-Marking-65102/dp/B00004YOCB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532297888&sr=8-5&keywords=line+chalk

https://www.amazon.com/American-grease-stick-graphite-lubricant/dp/B000K7TOLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532297920&sr=8-1&keywords=powdered+graphite

Thank you. I’ll try the chalk trick this week. I bought extended warranty with this truck but I’d like to be able to narrow down the problem before I get it checked when and if I need to.

Edited by mattarmstr

23 minutes ago, mattarmstr said:

Would piston slap go away after 20 seconds?

Yes, piston slap goes away after about 20 seconds. I have the same issue with one of my rigs. Its been like that for a very long time, and has caused no problems. When the piston heats up, the shape of the piston skirt changes, and tightens up the tolerances - eliminating the slap. 

Piston slap is not bad for your engine, don't worry about it. Its annoying, but nothing else. 

You can reduce the noise by installing a block heater and using it regularly. It reduces the time the pistons slaps, but does not eliminate it. 

29 minutes ago, mattarmstr said:

Thank you. I’ll try the chalk trick this week. I bought extended warranty with this truck but I’d like to be able to narrow down the problem before I get it checked when and if I need to.

You want to put the chalk on both side of the belt. It doesn't normally take a lot. Easier to do with the engine off. 

Edited by starman8tdc

I would start with a new serpentine belt. While you have the belt off turn all the accessory pulleys and tension-er by hand look for a wobble and feel for any play/roughness or a squeak as it turns. i suspect the water pump but could be about anything.  

My "Chirp" on startup was related to the exhaust flapper valve.

It would only happen when the truck was warm, not cold.

I thought it was the starter hanging up. Upon further inspection it was the flapper. I pinned it open and Voila, chirp was gone.

Edited by Sierra Dan
Mispelling! LOL

• 7 months later...

Have the same issue on my 2014 Silverado 5.3 - 89k miles.  Both your videos sound EXACTLY to mine.

Chirp lasts for about 10-12 seconds then dissipates.  Mine appears to come from the passenger side back of the engine.  I've chalked it up as a lifter.  I'm concerned as it appears to get louder on certain mornings.  Depends really on the weather it seems.    I've tried some Liqui-Molly Lifter additive, and that didn't do anything.  I was contemplating an engine flush at the next oil change.  My theory is the oil at 0w20 is so thin it drains off the lifter, then takes a few seconds at engine start to coat properly.  Again, this is just a theory, I'm not a master of mechanics!  I was also thinking out trying a little thicker oil during winter months and 0w20 during summer.  But I won't know the thicker oil theory until next year.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, tk2412 said:

Have the same issue on my 2014 Silverado 5.3 - 89k miles.  Both your videos sound EXACTLY to mine.

Chirp lasts for about 10-12 seconds then dissipates.  Mine appears to come from the passenger side back of the engine.  I've chalked it up as a lifter.  I'm concerned as it appears to get louder on certain mornings.  Depends really on the weather it seems.    I've tried some Liqui-Molly Lifter additive, and that didn't do anything.  I was contemplating an engine flush at the next oil change.  My theory is the oil at 0w20 is so thin it drains off the lifter, then takes a few seconds at engine start to coat properly.  Again, this is just a theory, I'm not a master of mechanics!  I was also thinking out trying a little thicker oil during winter months and 0w20 during summer.  But I won't know the thicker oil theory until next year.

Update to my issue..

Decided to do an engine flush with Liqui-Molly Motor Flush and fresh 0w20.  Thought issue was resolved as it didn't produce the same noise for 2 days.  But today, its wet & cold..  Squeak at cold startup came back.  Threw a P050D Code for cold start.  My new theory is a possible bad injector #4.  If I run ODB Torque Check dongle on it, in testing I go get some misfires on #4 & #5.  Only a few.  like on a 25 mile trip like 15 misfires on 4 and 7 on 5.  So I'm not sure if that's the issue or what.