Any DIY Home Experts here?

Bought a home recently, it was built in 1988 and has two central AC units ( it's a 2-story home ), does anyone know what these two things are? It's located in the garage and near the 1st furnace.

2nd is I'm going to install a ring doorbell, while checking my current doorbell transformer, I cannot get a voltage reading using my volt meter, what am I doing wrong here? Pic of transformer for doorbell is attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thnx

2f69380f299fe4310768b8074d5bb29c.jpg05c638be60b672781f9f9b5c3e99d85f.jpgf4f5cb8087df3e074afc09e025f91b58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second transformer looks like it is for a furnace humidifier (24V). Is there one on the furnace or maybe an electronic air filter?

For the door bell, Both wires go into the bell box, but only one connects to the bell, the other wire goes to the door switch and then back to the front or rear terminal so that when the button is pushed the bell circuit is completed.

Either of these transformers can be used for the door bell most likely, they just need to be wired correctly.  Quick test is to attach one wire to transformer terminal from the transformer and briefly touch the other wire to the front or back terminals to see if the bell itself is working.

• Like 1

The second transformer looks like it is for a furnace humidifier (24V). Is there one on the furnace or maybe an electronic air filter?

Not sure if I have a furnace humidifier, I'm guessing no. I do have two furnaces, one in garage and other on 2nd floor, could these transformers be for the thermostats? I have 2 nest as thermostats and they're working perfectly.

Either of these transformers can be used for the door bell most likely, they just need to be wired correctly.  Quick test is to attach one wire to transformer terminal from the transformer and briefly touch the other wire to the front or back terminals to see if the bell itself is working.

The doorbell works perfectly, I'm just trying to get a voltage reading with my multimeter so I can see if a ring doorbell or nest hello will work, I'd like to know if I have the right equipment before ordering. I can't get a damn reading from this doorbell transformer tho [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unhook the wires from one and try the bell and the nest to see which one it controls and then the other one do the same. No harm should be done to either by doing this as long as you do not short the contacts on the transformer.

The nest thermostat should be using the transformer built into the furnaces though. Maybe something else is using the second transformer like a garage door monitor or something similar?

If neither of these transformers are for the door bell or the nest thermostats and you cannot get a reading off of them, I would disconnect them totally until you found out what they are for.

• Like 1