2015 1500 50k mile service

I am impressed that when I heard you guys are not afraid to tackle most repairs and maintenance by yourselves. When I asked a friend (certified mechanic) regarding buying a 2014 Silverado. He suggested that if I am willing to do most repairs and maintenance by myself then go for it. He said that GM makes cars and trucks with the intention to also profit more from the repairs and maintenance services. 

Is anyone here had to use a step ladder to check oil fluid like me?

22 hours ago, black00ta said:

at 45k trans/transfer case/cabin filter is due.

for me, at 50k i did transfer case fluid for the second time, transmission fluid, cabin filter, GDI cleaner - and the plugs had gotten fouled out and were causing a miss fire which required changing right at 50k

Unless I am mistaken or there is variance year to year for my 2016 1500:

at 45k miles under the normal service schedule for trucks w/ gvwr under 8600# which I believe is all the non max tow trucks the following maint is required: Replace engine air filter, replace cabin air filter, inspect evap system IF your GVWR is over 8600# they recommend change the transfer case fluid at 97k miles for trucks under 8600#... Transmission fluid is not even on the list for standard service schedule period..

Severe service recommends trans fluid, transfer case fluid (regardless of GVWR) both be changed, air and cabin filers be replaced all at 45k miles... 

Kind of alarming that there is no recommended interval for transmission fluid changes on the normal service schedule..I certainly don't fall under severe duty per the manual but, I gotta wonder, would it be cheap insurance for my powertrain to follow the severe service schedule though.... I'm hoping to get 150 to 200k outta my truck and I really would rather change some fluid than repair transmissions & transfer cases...

Unless I am mistaken or there is variance year to year for my 2016 1500:
at 45k miles under the normal service schedule for trucks w/ gvwr under 8600# which I believe is all the non max tow trucks the following maint is required: Replace engine air filter, replace cabin air filter, inspect evap system IF your GVWR is over 8600# they recommend change the transfer case fluid at 97k miles for trucks under 8600#... Transmission fluid is not even on the list for standard service schedule period..

Severe service recommends trans fluid, transfer case fluid (regardless of GVWR) both be changed, air and cabin filers be replaced all at 45k miles... 

Kind of alarming that there is no recommended interval for transmission fluid changes on the normal service schedule..I certainly don't fall under severe duty per the manual but, I gotta wonder, would it be cheap insurance for my powertrain to follow the severe service schedule though.... I'm hoping to get 150 to 200k outta my truck and I really would rather change some fluid than repair transmissions & transfer cases...
Here is a screenshot. So 45k miles not 50.18ff74c11e964dd577903381edf17af8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, hondarider94 said:

Here is a screenshot. So 45k miles not 50.18ff74c11e964dd577903381edf17af8.jpg

Yeah that is the same as mine, severe service schedule suggests 45k miles.. Normal on the previous page has no recommendation for transmission fluid change at all.

Does the transfer case have a drain plug? This weekend I'm going to tackle the front and rear diff. Also the transfer case probably.
I will do the transmission in upcoming weeks.

Anyone know how much fluid for each? Diffs, tranny and transfer case?

Yeah that is the same as mine, severe service schedule suggests 45k miles.. Normal on the previous page has no recommendation for transmission fluid change at all.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and do the differential fluids and fuel system cleaner.
I dont think my truck is considered severe use, I tow a 16ft trailer with a rzr about twice a month that's it.

Also what fuel system cleaner do you recommend? I read redline fuel cleaner or bg 44k fuel cleaner.

For what it cost, changing out the differentials, T-case and transmission filter and fluid is a good thing at 45 or 50k miles.  It is easy to do. 

Front diff has a drain and fill plug.  Same with the T-case.  I was lucky and my rear diff has a drain plug as well.   All easy to do.

Transmission isn't that hard either and if you change out the filter and fluid every 50k miles you will add life to your transmission.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SkiBum5.0 said:

Are you guys having to drop the exhaust to get at the transmission pan and filter? Watched a video that showed some difficulty in removing the pan with the crossover pipe right below it.

I removed the bolts that attach the transfer case to the crossmember. Was then able to jack it up a little and put a wedge under it. This raises the transmission a little. I also used a ratchet strap to pull down on the exhaust. I did this by putting a jack stand under the frame with a 2x8 under the stand. The 2x8 was on the floor and ran towards the exhaust. This gave me a point to wrap the ratchet strap from the exhaust down to the 2x8. Putting a little tension on the strap pulled the exhaust down a little. Doing both of these gave me enough room to remove the transmission pan. This guy did something similar: https://www.silveradosierra.com/how-to-articles/how-to-pan-drop-and-filter-change-on-gmt900-4x4-six-speed-t442161.html

• Like 1

Are you guys having to drop the exhaust to get at the transmission pan and filter? Watched a video that showed some difficulty in removing the pan with the crossover pipe right below it.

Yes. Had to loosen the right side Y pipe from the header and gently pull down with a pry bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Had to loosen the right side Y pipe from the header and gently pull down with a pry bar. Didn’t loosen the transmission or transfer case. Heads up place an old bath towel under where your working you might get some remnants splashing you.

• 2 weeks later...

Im a little anal about maintenance and i tow alot, im deff glad i did the differentials, Used amsoil 75w 90 they have the new soft packs of fluid now makes it easy to get in the front diff. im gonna pay the dealer to service the trans in the spring, im not going to deal with the aggravation of jacking things up to get the trans pan off.