2015 1500 50k mile service

Transmission and 4wd system service.
Local Chevrolet dealer quoted $550 for the above.

I have the capability to change this myself but I cant "flush" it..

Also what about the fuel system cleanse? They stated $180..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Their fuel system cleanse is a bottle of Techron in the gas tank. As far as a transmission flush many members including myself have siphoned out the fluid in the pan, dropped it changing the filter, then refilled with new fluid equal to what was removed. Then after a few drive cycles up to temp I pulled another jug of fluid out and replaced. Repeat a third time if you see fit based on the fluid your removing and its quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Their fuel system cleanse is a bottle of Techron in the gas tank. As far as a transmission flush many members including myself have siphoned out the fluid in the pan, dropped it changing the filter, then refilled with new fluid equal to what was removed. Then after a few drive cycles up to temp I pulled another jug of fluid out and replaced. Repeat a third time if you see fit based on the fluid your removing and its quality.

Yep.

And as for the 4x4 service, just change the front and rear diff fluid. Maybe the transfer case fluid too. 

Your total cost would be under $100, and take an hour or two at most. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bushleaguechew said:

What do you use to siphon out the fluid? I have a small transfer hand pump but I feel like that would take forever.  

On 8/26/2018 at 11:23 PM, Bushleaguechew said:

Harbor freight siphon pump. It’s not instant but less than 10 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the same pump and can get around 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid out. Had to use smaller OD tubing as the tubing that it comes with wouldn't fit down the dipstick. Does take a little while as each pump doesn't pull a lot of fluid but it does the job. I repeat this process 3 times usually about a couple days apart. After the 3rd time the fluid was a lot more red. I did recently drop the pan to change the filter (130,000 miles). I used the pump again to take as much fluid out of the pan to keep the mess down which did help. The filter actually didn't look too bad. Just a little bit of debris.

As far as the front axle and t-case go they are pretty easy. Both have a drain and fill plug. I used a different hand pump (goes into bottle) to replace those fluids. $550 seems a bit steep. I went with Amsoil 75W-90 for the diff and their signature series Dex VI fluid for the t-case. For the transmission I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Can pick that up at Walmart for around $18 a gallon.

61lXCDZOVNL._SL1200_.jpg

I used the same pump and can get around 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid out. Had to use smaller OD tubing as the tubing that it comes with wouldn't fit down the dipstick. Does take a little while as each pump doesn't pull a lot of fluid but it does the job. I repeat this process 3 times usually about a couple days apart. After the 3rd time the fluid was a lot more red. I did recently drop the pan to change the filter (130,000 miles). I used the pump again to take as much fluid out of the pan to keep the mess down which did help. The filter actually didn't look too bad. Just a little bit of debris.

As far as the front axle and t-case go they are pretty easy. Both have a drain and fill plug. I used a different hand pump (goes into bottle) to replace those fluids. $550 seems a bit steep. I went with Amsoil 75W-90 for the diff and their signature series Dex VI fluid for the t-case. For the transmission I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Can pick that up at Walmart for around $18 a gallon.
61lXCDZOVNL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.67270a0621543f74f1ffeab80a0ec8ea.jpg

See that little black tube that comes with the harbor freight pump? That attaches to the red tubing via an adaptor included and fits perfectly into the transmission pan. I got 5+ quarts out.

• Thanks 1

So roughly how much fluid is left if you just drop the pan to also replace the filter?
Is that suitable enough for fluid change?

I got the majority out ~5.5 with the hand pump. There was about 1/2 a quart left in the pan that I wasn’t ready for and ended up all over my shirt. To drop the pan will require you to loosen the passenger side Y pipe from the exhaust manifold. I thought everything would be seized solid, but I managed to loosen it using nothing more than a ratchet wrench and some WD-40. My truck had gone thru 2 northeast winters and about 50k miles at the time so I was pleasantly surprised after reading horror stories of seized flange bolts.

My dealership does the beegee cleaning which I highly suggest. Beegee gives a warranty on the fuel injectors with their product. $180 for the cleaning is day less than the $1200 to replace 4 injectors on these trucks. Also, techron doesn't clean valves because of direct injection, the dealer service does.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, cpttimerestraint said:

My dealership does the beegee cleaning which I highly suggest. Beegee gives a warranty on the fuel injectors with their product. $180 for the cleaning is day less than the $1200 to replace 4 injectors on these trucks. Also, techron doesn't clean valves because of direct injection, the dealer service does.

Have you had the BG cleaning?

At what mileage? And did you notice a difference in performance or MPG after?

Have you had the BG cleaning?
At what mileage? And did you notice a difference in performance or MPG after?
I haven't yet. I had half the injectors replaced under powertrain because of a bad Head and noticed a huge difference. I am planning on doing it at 60k. There is a cutoff if when you have to have the first service and then the service interval after that to get the warranty.

at 45k trans/transfer case/cabin filter is due.

for me, at 50k i did transfer case fluid for the second time, transmission fluid, cabin filter, GDI cleaner - and the plugs had gotten fouled out and were causing a miss fire which required changing right at 50k