Storing 2018 GMC denali HD

Gonna be storing the truck in a facility that doesn't have power. I wont be able to trickle charge the dual batteries and will have to disconnect them. Will there be any problems doing so? I have always used battery tenders or batteryminders but wont be able to now.

1 hour ago, crankman said:

How about solar panels? I use them on my ATV batteries year around work well. 

I thought about that, but its one of those AAA storage facilities and they wont allow a solar panel hanging from/outside the garage door. I think my best bet is removing the batteries and maintaining them in my garage. I'm just worried about reconnecting them in the spring and running into electrical issues.

Got it . I would think the truck controls would default to original setting, that is only a guess. Storing your batteries in your garage is a good idea. Might want to treat your fuel if its going to be a long storage. Any chance you could go over there couple times a month and just pull  it out and let it warm up to operating temps? That  would ave you from having to pull the batteries and allow some of the fluids to circulate. 

Edited by crankman

19 hours ago, jerseytaylor said:

could you just remotely start the truck from your phone/app and let it run a bit every so often? thats what ive been doing when i store mine.

I think that would be a bad idea since it will be in an enclosed garage. Also, I was not planning on starting it in the winter. I want to winterize it and start it in the spring. I'm just wondering if there is any concerns with the electrical systems on these new trucks if I pull the batteries and not start it till spring? 

12 minutes ago, cdh027 said:

I think that would be a bad idea since it will be in an enclosed garage. Also, I was not planning on starting it in the winter. I want to winterize it and start it in the spring. I'm just wondering if there is any concerns with the electrical systems on these new trucks if I pull the batteries and not start it till spring? 

You could just disconnect them an leave them in the truck. 

55 minutes ago, cdh027 said:

Would that not trash the batteries having them in possible -20 degree temps and not trickle charging them?

If they were good batteries they would be okay.  I would assume they're good batteries as its a brand new truck. It will shorten the lifespan.  I think you would be better off leaving them in it with them connected and running the truck once a month.  You dont need to drive it anywhere.  Just let it idle and warm up.  

If you cant do that, then take them out and put them somewhere.  I store mine in the basement but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't recommended.  

Edited by Logan Lanfear

57 minutes ago, cdh027 said:

Would that not trash the batteries having them in possible -20 degree temps and not trickle charging them?

Charged batteries do fine in cold weather.

Dead batteries will freeze.

• Like 1