Leveling With Stamped Steel Upper Control Arms

reardiff

Looking to level my 2017 but from reading many forum on here and other sites there seems to issues with the Upper Control Arms?  From my understanding 2017 & 2018 trucks were manufactured with stamped steel UCA's different from the Aluminum and Forged steel versions for 2014 - 2016.  My question is it unsafe  to add a modest level (2 in max)  when you have stamped steel A arms or are replacement / aftermarket control arms necessary or recommended?   If so, could somebody explain what the issue is and why?  I've heard the ball joint may fail but can't seem to get a good idea of why or if this is even true.  Any recommendations on which aftermarket replacement brand or type is preferred?

The knuckle is slightly different. They make UCA setups for both.

Camburg UCAs come with an adapter so can be used regardless of which control arms your truck has.

There’s nothing inherently safe/unsafe with one control arm versus another. They’re functionally the same.

And there aren’t really any issues with any of the UCAs as far as I can tell...?

What issues are you speaking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Following. I’ve been trying to figure out what was different with the stamped steel as well. I have the stamped steel on my truck and want to run the 2.25” readylift kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran the Readylift leveling kit for a little more than a year on the stamped steel arms with no issues although it seems Readylift doesn't recomend it. I did upgrade to the Fabtech arms when I went with more lift and all I can say is wow. The stamped arms look so flimsy anf light duty compared to the Fabtechs. Not saying you will or will not have an issue but the OEMs look very light duty vs. some of the aftermarket options. Also for what it's worth my local GMC dealer that installs levels and lifts uses the Readylift kit and doesn't use the upgraded arms to my knowledge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I ran the Readylift leveling kit for a little more than a year on the stamped steel arms with no issues although it seems Readylift doesn't recomend it. I did upgrade to the Fabtech arms when I went with more lift and all I can say is wow. The stamped arms look so flimsy anf light duty compared to the Fabtechs. Not saying you will or will not have an issue but the OEMs look very light duty vs. some of the aftermarket options. Also for what it's worth my local GMC dealer that installs levels and lifts uses the Readylift kit and doesn't use the upgraded arms to my knowledge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you, this is some great info. I will probably go ahead and buy the readylift kit with the upgraded arms. I think that will be the best deal all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

While researching the ready lift kit I found this on their website.   Their 2.25 level kit comes with replacement control arms and priced at $499.  They have a whole page dedicated to what you need to know before lifting your GM 1500

Stamped Steel, Aluminum, and Forged Steel Control Arms

For the 2014-2016 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 trucks, GM offered three different upper control arms: stamped steel, aluminum, and forged steel. Additionally, in 2014-2016 GM truck had two different knuckles—aluminum and steel—each with different ball joint hole sizes.

Stamped steel and aluminum arms have a larger ball joint that fit the same knuckle. Steel knuckles with forged steel control arms had smaller ball joint holes that match the cast steel arms only. This is the same setup found on 2007-2014 models. Forged steel and forged aluminum arms have retention clips on the ball joint so if the ball joint cup becomes distorted, it does not fail.

New Stamped Steel Arm Design

The NEW stamped steel arms have a ball joint that is sandwiched between the upper and lower pieces of the arm with a relatively small surface area for ball joint retention with no supporting clips.  If these cups distort, the ball joint fails and falls out.

GM 1500 trucks built after April 1, 2016 are stamped steel arms mated to smaller steel knuckles with the larger of the two ball joints. Basically, they are using the larger ball joint from the aluminum arm and putting it in a stamped arm and mating it to a smaller steel knuckle.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, reardiff said:

While researching the ready lift kit I found this on their website.   Their 2.25 level kit comes with replacement control arms and priced at $499.  They have a whole page dedicated to what you need to know before lifting your GM 1500

Stamped Steel, Aluminum, and Forged Steel Control Arms

For the 2014-2016 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 trucks, GM offered three different upper control arms: stamped steel, aluminum, and forged steel. Additionally, in 2014-2016 GM truck had two different knuckles—aluminum and steel—each with different ball joint hole sizes.

Stamped steel and aluminum arms have a larger ball joint that fit the same knuckle. Steel knuckles with forged steel control arms had smaller ball joint holes that match the cast steel arms only. This is the same setup found on 2007-2014 models. Forged steel and forged aluminum arms have retention clips on the ball joint so if the ball joint cup becomes distorted, it does not fail.

New Stamped Steel Arm Design

The NEW stamped steel arms have a ball joint that is sandwiched between the upper and lower pieces of the arm with a relatively small surface area for ball joint retention with no supporting clips.  If these cups distort, the ball joint fails and falls out.

GM 1500 trucks built after April 1, 2016 are stamped steel arms mated to smaller steel knuckles with the larger of the two ball joints. Basically, they are using the larger ball joint from the aluminum arm and putting it in a stamped arm and mating it to a smaller steel knuckle.

So for anyone that can comprehend that gobli gook, ive got an 18 Lt with a steel knuckle.  Found Craigslist Cast steel uppers off of a 14.  Would these balljoints fit in my knuckles?