Opinions on Load Range E tires on Sierra 1500 1/2 ton

Anyone running Load E rated tires on a half ton truck, and do you regret it? Or are you glad you did it, and why?

I ask this question, because I dropped my truck off at a shop for tires, and ran some errands with my wife, and came back, and asked how it was going. They said they had an inventory issue, and only had two of the 4 ply tires, instead of the 6 they thought they had, so they decided to put 10 ply on, without calling me and asking, but they wouldn't charge me the difference. The guy tells me he thinks I will like how it rides, and If I run like 40 psi in them, I'll hardly know the difference, and it may run even smoother. It's an '06 Sierra 1500, 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive. I have a shell, and carry my tools around and a couple ladders, no towing, no heavy loads. My concern isn't so much the highway, but when I end up on some of these dirt, washboard roads around here.

I have also read that it can lower the mpg, and it's harder on wheel bearings.

Any feedback on this appreciated, especially from anyone who did exactly this, and liked it, or hated it. He already ordered the 4 ply, and they will swap them in a heartbeat, but supposedly there are some benefits to a 10 ply, so I have to drive them a couple days.

My working life was spent off road. One of the first things I did was change my tires usually to KOs highest ply and load range available. I run stock replacements lower air pressure. No noise, no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My working life was spent off road. One of the first things I did was change my tires usually to KOs highest ply and load range available. I run stock replacements lower air pressure. No noise, no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I've been running 265/70/17's. instead of the 245/70/17's that it came with. Very common on that truck, as the 245's look like toy tires in the wheel wells.

• 3 months later...

I am running F load range (nitro ridge grapples), and it rides harsh on certain road surfaces, like wash boards or just in town over rail road crossings, very slick on wet roads .... I just realized what load range I was running .. I’ve lower tire pressure to high 30’s which helped but still rough 

F2650E7A-AD38-46D7-822F-1707DC3A69CD.jpeg

74E6B29A-37D7-472D-85AB-6535283B8099.jpeg

I’ve been running e rated tires since a teenager on mostly SUV’s and on trucks. The stock tires (which you’ll notice throughout the forums) are garbage but some folks really don’t care and just keep same tire that came with their vehicle, others (including myself) would rather have a much more durable tire, considering it’s a truck. Vehicles suspensions and sound deadening material have come a long way and E rated tires have been found to ride noticeably smoother than they used to especially since one of the first thing people do to their new Truck or new to them is modify the Truck and SUV’s.

I run (34”) Nitto Ridge Grapplers, because I like the excellent ride quality, looks extremely durable and because that’s the size tire that better fills the void. I chose these Nitto’s cause they’re actually designed to run smoother and quieter than previous generation E rated tires.

If you’ve been happy with running (P) standard passenger tires, let the tire store know BUT if you want a tire that’s much more durable and protects against rips/cuts/punctures and excellent towing capabilities then you’re better off keeping your new E rated tires and just get used to them or choose a better quality E rated tire like Nitto, Toyo, BFG or a great highway e rated Michelin just to name a few. Remember, when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

Here’s my setup which works great for me. Excellent ride quality!

edd5c2f1b8d079ecece44fd0b58260f7.jpg

Sent from above

Have 01 burb that came stock with 4 ply. Would burn thru those in 20-25k. Went through a few sets and finally switched to 10 ply. Getting 65-70k

Run the numbers. 2 extra set of tires over 50k at 1k per set comes out to about..04 a mile. 2 mpg loss at 2.00/gallon comes out to about .02 a mile. So figured I was doing better cost wise. But, factor in the discount price for mileage loss on expired tire(assuming you buy one with mileage warranty), it would net out to neutral savings. Yet, time is money , no longer spending 2 extra afternoon's in the tire shop arguing with shop manager.

I run the same 10 ply on 04 Sierra light work truck. Great on dry and gravel, groomed trail. Spins from stop on wet if not careful

• Like 1