Banks Cold Air Intake? CAI on 5.3 or 6.2

Anyone try the banks 41858 cold air intake?

https://shop.bankspower.com/c-85-products-chevy-gmc-performance-parts.html#!submodel%3D6.2L GAS||model%3DSIERRA 1500||make%3DGMC||year%3D2016

No advertised power gains but increased flow by 29%

They have dry and oiled options. 

Wish Blackbear Performance tested it in their CAI tests. 

Edited by 2009GMC

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got one with the dry filter. You can definitely hear it sucking air more than the stock set up. I think it lessened the throttle lag a little, from a stop. At WOT it sounds good. I hope it’s as good as the best of the others.

Banks does a lot of research and their customer service is golden (in my experience) I liked the appearance of the intake tube, the moulding shape is sharply designed, it looks “clean”. The port for the MAF is sturdy and well located. I like the plexiglass window on the enclosure that allows me to see the filter. It draws cool air in from the fender and beneath the tray that it sits on. To me,  it looked like the best one of the bunch.

C9A2C336-2A72-402D-AD9D-CE6FAE0633B6.jpeg

Edited by Darksky
I type like a distracted kindergartner
  • Like 1

I've got the same kit on my 2014 Silverado LTZ 5.3L.  It definitely sounds more "throaty" when you accelerate hard.  It also helped clean up the engine bay a bit as well and allows you access to the belt area.  As far as performance, I definitely feel a stronger pull from a dead stop and when you have to accelerate hard on the freeway.  Was well worth the investment in my book.  Hope this helps!

-TheImpalaMan

22 hours ago, TheImpalaMan said:

I've got the same kit on my 2014 Silverado LTZ 5.3L.  It definitely sounds more "throaty" when you accelerate hard.  It also helped clean up the engine bay a bit as well and allows you access to the belt area.  As far as performance, I definitely feel a stronger pull from a dead stop and when you have to accelerate hard on the freeway.  Was well worth the investment in my book.  Hope this helps!

-TheImpalaMan

Did you go with dry or oiled? Oiled you can clean, dry you need to buy a new one from banks? $100

No, man. You just clean and reinstall it. Dry is for people that live in dusty, desert environments where an oiled filter would become caked with lightweight dust very quickly.

i really think the Banks tube is the best of them all.. the filter box is great as well, IMHO.

i can’t find fault with it. If you buy one, don’t pay MSRP. Get a Black Friday or other sale. IIRC I paid around $320.00 shipped. with my military discount and whatever sale Banks had going on. I did buy directly from them.

• Like 1

Wondering if these fit a 2018 5.3 with e-Assist? Their website doesn’t even list a 2018 1500 as an option.

Yes it fits. They haven’t updated their site. 2014 - 2018 are the same.

Good to know. I sent a text to their 800 number. They’re going to confirm tomorrow. I can wait a day even though I’m sure you’re right.

Order from jegs or summit racing and use one of their promo codes for 25 off 250 or 50 off 500. Expires today.

• Like 1

Are those codes readily available or is that only during sales?

Been a long time since I’ve seen codes on those sites.

Guessing there may be more after Thanksgiving.

If you order from autoanything, they will match competitors price or beat if by a few bucks if you chat before ordering.
  • Like 1