Getting Keys Cut (Options)

Greetings all! Noob here, First post :P

Just recently bought my first truck ever and currently addressing some issues...

2016 Silverado 1500 WT Extended Cab Pickup 4-Door
5.3L 5328CC 325Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated

Bought used, came with 3 fobs and only 1 key. I worked that into the deal for $200 - 300 off from the Subaru dealer I bought it from and agreed to deal with this myself. I tried searching here, 0 results, I'm guessing because I just haven't gotten used to the search here yet. Little help on comments or links? I have a message gone to an ebay seller right now to see what they can do but doesn't hurt to check in with experienced GM truck owners for first hand suggestions and knowledge. Here's the links on ebay I found...

(Key Cutting Service)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GM-KEY-CUTTING-SERVICE-SIDE-MILL-HIGH-SECURITY-2-TRACK-LASER-CUT-BY-CODE/331936724331?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 

(Actual Keys)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GM-REPLACEMENT-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-Chevy-BowTie-Logo-KEY-BLANK-B119-PT-B121-PT/352302893722?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

How have you guys addressed this? Hoping there's a cheaper solution than the stealership :P

TIA,

krunch

Edited by krunch

On my 2016 I worked directly with the Parts Department to purchase a spare key.  Once the Key has been cut it has to be programed to your vehicle in order for it to start your vehicle.  They took care of it for me and it cost ~$80.

2 hours ago, DougFL said:

On my 2016 I worked directly with the Parts Department to purchase a spare key.  Once the Key has been cut it has to be programed to your vehicle in order for it to start your vehicle.  They took care of it for me and it cost ~$80.

Thanx Doug! I live in Canada where the rule is to mark up all parts and services by about 200% - 300%. I will make the call here in Canada, but will also make a call to the dealer in Minot, ND as I only live 2 hours from there and we go to the States for the occasional weekend here and there.

Krunch

2 hours ago, hollywoodsle said:

You're going to have to go to the "stealership" anyways. You need 2 working keys to program a new one.

Thanx hollywood! I thought I had read some conflicting information on that so I asked uncle Google and it appears I may get lucky with one key maybe. It seems you don't need two keys unless you have a 17' or newer model? I couldn't find this here last night using search here but Google found it. Noob here, learning another forum and it's search engine :P

Edited by krunch

Adding Keys (Without SPS) – Canada, Europe, South America, Asia, and Middle East

Note:

• To initiate, this procedure requires that 2 learned key be available.
  • A total of eight keys maybe be learned to a single vehicle.
  • This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
  • The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

Note:

• When verifying operation, make sure that no other transmitters are near the vehicle.
  • If key fails to learn repeat steps 1-6 paying close attention to the time limits at each step.
  1. With a previously learned key, turn the ignition ON.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF and remove the key.
  3. With a second previously learned key, turn the ignition ON.
  4. Turn the ignition OFF and remove the key.
  5. Within 10 seconds of turning OFF the ignition, insert the key to be learned and turn ON/RUN position (do not turn to the crank position). Keep key in the ON/RUN position for 5 seconds and the theft light turns off. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Note:

• Step 5 can be repeated until a maximum of 8 keys are learned (including 2 factory keys) to the vehicle.
    • Be sure to keep other keys and transmitters at least 12 in (30 cm) away from the ignition cylinder while learning.
  6. Verify each transmitter and key is operating properly. Remove key from the ignition cylinder and wait 30 seconds. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder and start vehicle.
  • Like 1

It would appear you work for GM hollywood if you posted a link to GMSI :) Can you hook me up? :P

My apologies on the "Stealership" comment. Im sure that's not the first time you've heard that though :thumbs:

Krunch

24 minutes ago, krunch said:

It would appear you work for GM hollywood if you posted a link to GMSI :) Can you hook me up? :P

My apologies on the "Stealership" comment. Im sure that's not the first time you've heard that though :thumbs:

Krunch

Hollywoodsle has the right instructions, which are correct for Canada 2016 model year, requires you start with two keys already learned to the truck to initiate the quick learn.  You, having only one key with the truck will require a trip to the dealer to program a second via GM SPS.  Once you have the second key, and down the road you want to add a third, you can then do the quick learn. 

Appreciate all the help guys! Currently exploring doing both. I have 3 fobs, might as well have 3 keys I guess. Maybe get one from the dealer and get a second from ebay and then cut elsewhere and program myself.

Dealership Pricing:

1/2 hr - 1 hr shop rate @ $135.00 + $68.00 for the key and $10.00 to cut it -> Murray Chevrolet here in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada = $163.86 - $239.46 CAD = $124.93 - $182.57 USD

1/2 hr - 1 hr shop rate @ $120 + $80 for the key -> Ryan Chevrolet, Minot, ND = $140 - $180 USD

Hmmmm maybe prices may have finally gotten more fair. Years ago I bought a BCM for my 02' Monte Carlo SS from GM Parts Direct at 1/3 the Canadian cost in the US and when I opened the box it had "Made in Canada" stamped right in the module :sigh:

Krunch